Skip to main content

Everglades National Park- Shark Valley

Ashley and I are sick. She was sick before the trip started, then felt better, and then we both felt awful the other day when we went to Biscayne. We woke up feeling disgusting yesterday- Ashley couldn’t stop coughing, and I was sneezing and my nose was like a leaky faucet. Our kayaking plans went out the window. Instead, we went to see Mary Poppins returns, sat by the pool, and had dinner at IHOP, where we laughed about how this trip probably looks so glamorous on social media but in actuality, we’re a hot mess. 

After sleeping for 11 hours last night, we felt better today and were up for an activity I’d really been looking forward to- a 15 mile bike ride through the Everglades. 



We arrived at the Shark Valley Visitor Center at 1:00, and the parking lot was full. We didn’t have to wait too long for a spot, but then we discovered there were no bikes left, so we had to get on a wait list. We added our name, and then I asked if we’d be able to hear our names called if we sat on some nearby benches. The man assured us we would, and genially added that, while his voice is quiet, his coworker’s voice is booming. 

After a half hour of waiting, we hadn’t heard any names called. Worried that we’d missed our turn, I went over to inquire. He rudely replied, “I just called five names. Standby means to STAND by. You’re not going to hear anything over there.” 

So we stood in a crowd near the jerk with the  quiet voice, waiting to hear our names. It was just so chaotic and poorly organized; you’d think they could come up with a better system. 



As soon as we rode away on our bikes, we knew it was worth the wait. I forgot how relaxing it is to ride a bike; I felt like I could do this all day. And within the first half hour, we had seen SO many gators! I predicted that we’d see 50 by the end of the ride, and our final count was 54. 







Funniest part of the day- when we were trying to stop for a water break and Ashley just straight up fell off her bike and I almost crashed into her. Graceful we are not!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…

Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest

The closest wilderness areas to Chicago are 5 hours south of here, near Carbondale, and 5 hours north, in the north woods of Wisconsin. I felt like I was going to die if I didn't get out of the city this weekend, so I opted for the cooler temps of the north woods. It was only my third time up there, and I can't believe what I've been missing! I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time up there in the near future. I did the Jones Spring trail, which should have been a 9 mile loop, but I cut it short and made it 6 instead due to a wardrobe malfunction. I was wearing Kristin's hand-me-down hiking pants, which were too big on her. I didn't realize how big they were on me until a mile into the hike, when it started to rain. I don't mind getting wet and dirty, and I had an umbrella. But the pants were getting all wet, which weighed them down, and it's really hard to hold an umbrella while holding your pants up, but if I didn't hold them, they were act