Skip to main content

Finally back in the classroom

Well, I'm not a teacher, but I am an aide, and that's better than nothing. I'm just happy to be back in the classroom. I'm a special ed. aide for 7th graders with learning disabilities. I really like working with these kids, and I'm thinking this is what I need to get my master's in. I also love working with the kids with behavior disorders. We have a few kids who are supposedly BD, but it's nothing extreme with them. Nothing at all like what I dealt with on the west side.

I love the people I work with. Yesterday the English teacher pulled me aside and said she wanted to talk to me about the gossip that was going around about me. I was so nervous. What could people be saying about me after a week? But she told me they all love me and think I'm doing well and they're glad to have me there. So that made my week.

Also, Ryan was having trouble remembering all the steps of double digit multiplication, so we did the multiplication cha-cha. I wrote out a big problem on a Twister mat and we danced on the numbers in the order that you use them. He had a great time, and the next day he asked if he could come study with me again instead of going to his advisory period. I told him I was studying French with some kids (he's not in French), and he was like, "I don't care! I want to come anyway!" So that was really cool. I love teaching.

Comments

JohnL said…
Erinello, good luck with your work. I hope you get classwork on evidence-based instruction from the folks at NIU.
I dropped a note into my blog about your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…