Skip to main content

The Need for Adventure

I have this constant need for adventure. I have for as long as I can remember. When I was in high school, I fulfilled this need by lying to my parents and doing crazy stuff, like going to raves and hanging out with guys in their 20's and partying at their apartments, and doing other really unhealthy and illegal things I'd rather not post on the internet. But now I'm older and more responsible and have common sense, so this need for adventure is manifesting itself in other ways. It's not always healthy (like the whole Brian thing), but it is much better than in high school. I've gotten more creative with coming up with things to do. My idea of adventure is not going out to a new bar, or getting really drunk. I like to come up with crazy new things I've never tried before.

This weekend, Nina and I went to DC's Country Junction in Lowell, IN. It is a barn with live music and line dancing. I was afraid she'd hate it, but she didn't seem to miserable. It was fun to laugh at some of the fashions we saw, and there were some really cute guys, and the line dancing was fascinating. I really wanted to try, but Nina refused, and I would have made a fool of myself anyway. But I've decided that I want to learn, so I''m looking for a class. I'm really wishing I had bought that cowboy hat and boots in Ft. Worth I wanted so badly!

Right now I'm waiting for Sarah to come over. We're going to brunch at my favorite place, Orange. Then we might go tobogganing in Ottawa. I'm not sure yet. I'd like to go because I want to do fun and exciting because it's a day off. (I do this every MLK day- last year I went hiking, the year before that I explored used book stores in Milwaukee.) But I do have a million papers I should grade, and laundry I should do, and a new book I want to read. So we'll see. I guess I won't be too disappointed if we don't go, because I have a lot of fun stuff coming up. I'm going to a beginner's ballet class on Thursday, and next weekend I'm going snowboarding and snow tubing in WI.

I just wonder, is there something wrong with me? What's with this constant need for excitement? If I wake up on a day off and don't have exciting plans, I feel so depressed. There are SO many things I want to do, and my biggest fear is time. I'm afraid there won't be enough time to do everything I want to do. And besides that, I just love getting in the car and going to some random place with no idea what to expect. This is one reason I kind of want to move; I feel like I'm running out of things to do around here. But once the weather is warmer, there will be lots more options. And I'll have more money too, so I can travel a little more than I did last year.

Anyway, I just worry that I'm crazy. But I love my life and all the fun stuff I get to do. And I'm lucky to have a friend like Nina who is up for anything as well. I hope that someday, when I start looking for a husband, he will have this adventurous side as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…