Skip to main content

Storm Chasing

I've always wanted to see a tornado; they've fascinated me since I was little. I thought I finally had my chance the other night. I was walking back from Friday's to my hotel room at Cedar Point when the tornado sirens went off. It was kind of creepy for a minute because the path along the beach that I was walking on was completely deserted, and there was nowhere for me to go if a tornado was coming. I resigned myself to possible death and continued my leisurely pace back to my hotel room.

In my room, I immediately turned on the Weather Channel. They said a tornado had been spotted near the Ohio turnpike and it was headed for Sandusky. "Sweet!" I thought, and I ran for my car. But sadly, I did not spot any of the three tornadoes spawned from that storm, all of which were right by where I was driving. I was so disappointed.

Then I thought, what would I do if I actually saw the tornado? What if I was driving down the road and all of a sudden it was coming straight at me? I've heard you're supposed to drive at a 90 degree angle to it, but that's all I know. And what if you're so close you can't immediately tell which way it's going? And what if there's traffic? And how do you see a tornado when it's raining so hard you can barely see 10 feet in front of you? All of these questions and more sprang into my mind as I drove, and I thought, "Maybe I should have planned this out better." Next time there are tornadoes, I will be ready.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't believe that growing up in Naperville you never saw a tornado. Isn't that close to Shorewood or Joliet? We used to go stay with some friends down in Shorewood every summer and there was always at least one tornado during our stay. I would always be sunburn (they had a pool) and we would always end up under a table down in the basement playing that hand slapping game and my sunburn legs would hurt so much from getting slapped. I even remember one time having to run to get one of their kids from a baseball game and being crouched down on the floor of the car, with Coke bottles (yes bottles - it was YEARS ago)sticking into my sunburn legs. Even with all the tornado drama, I loved staying with this family. They have three boys, so Mr. & Mrs. Lancaster always treated me like a queen while I was there. I'm sure all the sunburns I got while staying there are probably going to be a major factor in the skin cancer I'm sure I'll end up with whenever I actually get in to get checked.
One more tornado memory - When I was in fifth or sixth grade my girlfriends and I were walking home from the school park when we noticed something flying wayyyy up in the sky and were trying to figure out what it was. When we looked down there was tons of roof shingles and boards and garbage cans and stuff like that coming at us from between the houses. It was actually a tornado! We ran so fast to Nora's house. She got hit by a garbage can, but Patti and I escaped. I slept on the floor by my bedroom door for like a month after that because I was too scared to be by a window.
Anyways, I think tornado's are very cool too. There was a storm chasing show not long ago that was very funny - they always made the wrong decisions and went the wrong way so never got close to a twister. It was hilarious! They would have confirmation of one but decide to go somewhere else where there was a possibility of one, then it would never happen. Then they would be talking to all the other "chasers" who say the other one and talk about how they made the wrong decision..again. Very (unintentionally) funny show!
Kathy

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…