Skip to main content

The Biggest Loser

So I have about a million things to blog about (okay, that may be a slight exaggeration- my parents' visit is pretty much the only interesting thing that's happened lately), but today I'm thinking about The Biggest Loser. I've been watching the show for a few years. I enjoy it because it motivates me to lose weight, but I've never been as captivated as I have this season. There's something about these people that has me so invested that I actually cheer for them and cry for them. I finally figured out what it is- they love Jesus.

The first people I suspected of this were Marcie and Courtney. I actually know someone who knows them in real life, and he says they are just wonderful people. The next people I suspected were the two sisters, Olivia and Hannah. Once again, it was mostly because of their actions. But once in a while they would let things slip that were clues, like when Hannah found out she'd be working with Jillian and said she might be meeting Jesus a lot sooner than expected. Then, during an elimination, someone called Sarah an amazing woman of faith, and it all fell into place- I knew they were followers of Jesus.

So I googled it, and while I couldn't find a lot of info, I did find the 6 of the contestants are LDS. The article talked about how they'd have Sunday services in one of their bedrooms each week. Awesome. Rob Bell says in Velvet Elvis that when someone on your block becomes a Christian, it should be good news for the whole neighborhood. The Biggest Loser contestants are the perfect example of this. They just seem to radiate love in their words and actions. Without even having to talk about it, their faith was evident. Isn't this the best kind of witness? Their actions were a million times more effective than any words about their faith could have been.

The cool thing about this season has been the lack of drama. The poor producers must have been driving themselves nuts trying to find an angle; there's been a definite lack or gameplay. Even in the eliminations, it seems like someone is always willing to sacrifice himself/herself for someone else's benefit. Usually on reality tv, drama brings high ratings. But in this case, love, hard work, and sacrifice are the story, and it's a compelling story. I would be interested to see how the ratings have been, because, in my opinion, the contestants are much more likable.

I just think this season of the Biggest Loser is the perfect example of what happens when people are filled with Christ's love. It overflows and affects everyone around you, including an entire nation. Now, let's just hope they don't start acting like total a-holes for the rest of the season, proving me wrong.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Erin, I just recently started watching The Biggest Loser and I love it... I don't know why I haven't watched it before--- it is really motivating me to revamp my body and be healthy. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…