Skip to main content

Jesus Is a High School Quarterback

A year and a half ago, I called Rachel on a Thursday night. "I'm coming to see you on Saturday," I said. I was in my usual holiday funk, but last year, there was something else going on, too.

A few nights later, Rachel and I sat outside on her patio in Phoenix, smoking cigarettes and talking about God. I confided in her that my faith felt completely empty. I'd stopped going to church, reading my Bible, and praying, and felt no different than I had before. I went on to explain that I actually felt guilty bothering God with my petty little problems when people around the world are starving and being raped, murdered, oppressed, and exploited.

Rachel seemed unsurprised by my confession. "I saw this coming," she said. "You finally let your lack of self-worth mess up your relationship with God." It was an uncomfortable truth, but one I couldn't argue with. So, now what?

I threw myself into making it better. Started reading my Bible again, participating in our Small Group discussions, and, when I moved to Phoenix, attending church. All of these things seemed to bring me closer to God and Jesus. When I was younger, I struggled with what it menat to love God. Now, I finally feel like I'm starting to get it. The more I learn about the things Jesus said and did, and what's important to God, and his plan for the world, the more I fall in love. I don't know how to put it into words, but I'll read something Jesus said and think, "What a bad ass!" or see how God's actions reveal his character and just be in total awe of this God I get to worship. It's like, an honor to worship him. I'm genuinely in love with God, and I totally want to hang out with Jesus.

I thought I was fixed. But even though things seemed to improve on the surface, something still wasn't right. Yesterday, it finally hit me. This whole relationship is completely one-sided. (At least, in my mind it is.) Jesus is like, the popular guy that I'm infatuated with, but I can't imagine he'd give me the time of day. I'm not on a crusade to bring clean drinking water to remote parts of Africa, or fighting cancer. I feel like those people are in the "in" crowd; those are the people who matter to Jesus. Not me and and my silly "I want a boyfriend" or "Where should I live?" problems. I feel whiny and obnoxious even thinking about it. And so guilty for feeling this way, because this is such a stupid problem to have. But I can't help but thinking- how much richer would my life be if I believed that God loves me, and my prayers matter? What possibilities would that open up? My life is pretty fabulous right now- how much fuller would it be if I accepted these things that I know logically are true? What am I missing out on? And how do I fix this?

Comments

Whitney said…
It's hard to change how you see yourself...I've had a hard time with that. And actually, therapy helped a lot, because I'd be so self critical and then my therapist would basically say something to the effect of, that seems entirely understandable. So I no longer felt like I was particularly bad at life or was handling a situation worse than I should be. When I started having moments when I'd catch myself being overly hard on myself, and this other, more compassionate voice in me would basically speak up and say, "it's okay, you're doing fine, don't be so mean, give yourself some space to just be", then I knew I was starting to love myself more. That sounds maybe a little hokey and like I have multiple personality disorder...but the point was, it took practice thinking differently and over time the part of me that is very life-affirming and compassionate has been getting more room to steer.

I wonder what practical advice I could possibly give...maybe you just need to think about things you like about yourself, things that are uniquely you (even if they are quirks). And then realize that you find your friends, with all of their hangups and quirks, still to be amazing people, sometimes even because of those hangups and quirks -- and that they feel the same way about you. You have never stipulated that I be well behaved or do everything correctly in order to have your acceptance and love...I think that's how it works with Jesus, too. There was never anything exclusive, he hung out with people who'd listen and engage at a real, human level, basically. And that's something we all can do, which I think is pretty damn cool.

I also think you're pretty damn cool.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…