Skip to main content

Escalante Days 6-8

Friday we did Sandslide Canyon. Neither of us had heard of it before. We chose it because it only had one rappel at the end, and we needed something we could do with George. Also, it was rated a PG slot, which means "Pretty Good"- you're going to need some stemming skills to get through the canyon.

I love the wide washes around Escalante...


Sandslide was funny because we did it in such a convoluted way. First, Bernie walked up from the bottom of the canyon as far as he could until he got to the rappel. Meanwhile, I slowly climbed the enormous sand dune that gave Sandslide its name. It was brutal. I was just a little envious when Bernie and George ran up it like it was nothing.

Next, we hiked along the canyon, looking for a good place to drop in. The walls were pretty shallow for most of it, so we dropped in halfway up it, in between the two slots. 

Since Bernie could hold George while stemming, we had to take turns exploring up and down canyon. George did NOT like being left behind. He cried the whole time one of us left. 


That night, we watched The Philadelphia Story on my Kindle. (Bernie loves Jimmy Stewart, and I love Cary Grant.) There was quite a bit of arguing over who Katharine Hepburn should end up with.

On Saturday, we hiked to Upper Calf Creek Falls. When I saw how far down we had to hike. I was reluctant. I knew the hike back up would be brutal. But Bernie gave me a pep talk, and he was right- I'd regret not doing it.



I turned on RunKeeper on the hike out to keep track of our distance. It's synced to my running playlist, and as soon as that music came on, I kicked it into high gear, passing up Bernie (who made race car noises and pretended I was Danica Patrick zooming by him).

"How high do you think we climbed?" I asked when we got to the top, gasping for breath.

"Oh, at least a 1,000 feet," he replied, equally winded. We Googled it. It's 600 feet. So embarrassing.

Luckily, our next planned activity required little effort. We went for a drive from my Utah Backcountry Adventures book on a road called Hell's Backbone. It was so beautiful. You gain a lot of elevation; the temperature dropped about 20 degrees. The leaves were all changing, and I thought of that quote from Anne of Green Gables: "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."




We had a long, relaxing dinner at the Outfitters, then stayed up till 2:00 a.m. talking.

I didn't want to leave the next day. It was so hard to get in the car and drive away, leaving Bernie at our campsite. He's staying up there for a while, maybe a month. But I left feeling happy and hopeful. As always, Utah was exactly what I needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…