Skip to main content

Fun Times With Nancy Effing Novak

I had an amazing Fall Break back in Chicago, but my time with Nancy deserves its own blog post.

Her shower was on my first day back, and it was lovely. Mostly uneventful. Except that I accidentally got her a lesbian wedding card. I missed the "S" at the end of Brides! We both started laughing so hard when she opened it and everyone thought we were crazy.


I also presented Nancy with a quilt that my mom and I collaborated on. This was the first and probably last time we will work together. There was some conflict, but I'm happy with how it turned out, and Nancy seemed pleased with it, too.



We also got to spend a day together and go explore Franklin Creek State Park. Nancy always likes the idea of hiking, but the reality is a different story. And unfortunately, I missed the part of the hike description that said there were no bridges at the river crossings. Nancy looked like she wanted to stab me when we arrived at the first one.


After we were both safely across, I had this moment of thankfulness for the fall day and being with Nancy. As the wind swirled leaves around me, I said, "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."

Nancy glared. "F-- you and the f--ing places you take me, Erin."

But I knew she'd appreciate it later.

As we hiked along, we traded insults. Loud ones. Full of colorful language. We hadn't seen a single soul on this hike so far, so we were confident that we had the place to ourselves.

"I wish a horde of butterflies would just come along and carry you off!" she yelled.

"You're such an a--hole!" I responded.

And then we rounded a corner and spotted a sweet looking old man fishing.

We were SO embarrassed and apologized profusely. He was gracious about our loud interruption, and we continued hiking quickly and quietly.

We arrived back and Nancy's car and drove towards the exit of the park. Suddenly, Nancy slammed on the brakes and pulled over into the grass. "Look, Erin, a metal slide! You love those!"



"Hell yeah!" I eagerly climbed to the top and posed for a photo, then started complaining loudly. "My fat ass is literally oozing over the sides of this slide..." My rant was cut short when I noticed someone walking down the road behind Nancy's car. It was the sweet old man, carrying his fishing pole.

I immediately doubled over, laughing so hard I was crying. Nancy cracked up, too, without even being sure of the reason. Finally she was able to gasp out, "He's behind me, isn't he?"  That poor man probably went home and complained to his wife, "These loud, foul-mouthed women totally ruined my wilderness experience."

These moments are typical of the time I spend with Nancy Effing Novak.

What a great day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…