Skip to main content

Fall Break

Fall Break was great because I just got to relax and hang out with my family and friends.

My brother had a going away party for a friend. I got a little drunk and had a heart to heart with his girlfriend, Kasia. I apologized for being a little reserved the first few times I met her. I didn't know if it was going to last. But I told her that night, "I am ALL IN." She's pretty awesome... I'm so glad he's with her.



I spent a lovely day at the arboretum with my dad and aunt. They had this amazing exhibit of Lego sculptures that used 464,700 Legos and took 4170 hours to build! I was particularly impressed by this hummingbird...

(took this pic from the Morton Arboretum website)

... and terrified by this enormous butterfly.

The arboretum had a contest: find the Lego head, tell someone at the info desk where it's hidden, and get a prize! I thought it looked a little disturbing hanging in the tree.


It was a beautiful fall day and I had a great time hanging out with my dad, Aunt Kathy, and cousin Katie (who works there).



Another highlight of fall break was watching the Cubs in the playoffs! Everything basically revolved around that. I watched the Wild Card game with my dad, his best friend Dave, and his daughter Beth. I've known Beth since I was born, but she lives in Minneapolis now so I haven't seen her in years. It was so, so fun... I mean, I can't imagine a more perfect night. My dad, old friends, Lou Malnati's pizza, good beer, and a spectacular Cubs win!


I only spent one fabulous night in the city. This is hard for me. When I'm in Naperville, it's fun and nostalgic and I'm happy to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. When I'm in the city... I know that's where I'd be if I hadn't chosen to move out of state. And I MISS Chicago. I love that city. I miss living in a real city. And Phoenix just does not have the culture that Chicago does. For example (and I apologize for this huge digression), Chicago is expecting their first snow of the season tonight. I am jealous! The first snow is always magic. I don't know how to describe it, but if you live somewhere with snow, I think you understand this. So WGN posted this video they made back when Chicago had that horrible winter with the polar vortex. And even though it reminds me how much winter in Chicago SUCKS, it made me miss my city.

Anyway, I stopped by Bang Bang for pie and met Ann for dinner and then Nina met me for drinks and dessert. You know on Sex and the City when the girls are walking down the street and talking and everything around them is just so fabulously New York? This is one of my favorite things about Chicago; just walking down the street, chatting with my best friends.

I made Nina stop for a selfie at North, Damen, and Milwaukee.

When I dropped her off, she buckled in my pie to keep it safe.


Other fun things that happened in Chicago:

I spent hours hanging out with my dear friend Liz and met her sweet new baby boy. (Why didn't I get a picture of that????)

Mom and I made an adorable bunting for my Cookies and Cocoa party:

I had lunch with my mom and her best friend, Jane:


And I spent a lot of time relaxing in my parents' beautiful yard:


I'm so excited to go home again next week for Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…