Skip to main content

Antietam and Gettysburg

Antietam
This site took me a half day, and I wish I'd had long to spend. It was the bloodiest day of fighting of the Civil War. One soldier died each second. The casualties in this single day of fighting outnumbered the total casualties from the Revolution, the French Indian War, and the Mexican war combined. I watched the movie and had to avert my eyes during the battle scenes. I almost felt like I didn't want to know what it was like! 

After the movie, I drove around the battlefield. I think this is my favorite (that doesn't sound like the right adjective) one that I've seen. The reason being, the landscape seems to look exactly like it did at the time of the battle. There's nothing else around except the occasional farm, and all of those have been preserved/protected; they were all there during this battle. I went for a hike through a cornfield that the Union Soldiers marched through. When they emerged on the other side, the Confederates immediate attacked. This is going to sound stupid, but as I stood there by myself in this place where so many men suffered and died, I took off my shoes because I felt like I was standing on holy ground. It was an eerie spot.

 

I also walked down to Burnside Bridge, which crosses over Antietam Creek. A small number of Confederates held off a huge number of Union soldiers here, but they eventually couldn't defend their position any longer. 

 

I visited Antietam National Cemetery, which was somber and beautiful.

 

 

 
What a view!

 

I missed out on the ranger talk and the artillery demonstration. I really could have stayed here all day; so much to learn about.

Catoctin
Disappointing! I planned to hike to the waterfall, but that would have cost me $7. I thought about doing another hike, but the parking lots were all full. This place was way too crowded and all I really did was drive through after all that drama.

Gettysburg/Eisenhower
Eisenhower's farm is right by Gettysburg, and the only way to get there is on a bus that leaves from the Gettysburg Visitor's Center. This place was a madhouse! I had to park a half mile away. It was Ford Family Day, and I guess it was great that so many people were there, learning about history. I just found it odd to see a guy making balloon animals on the site of the bloodiest battle of the Civil War. 

It was a relief to get on the bus and arrive at the site of Eisenhower's farm.

 

Here are a few things I learned about Ike's presidency:

The army wanted to see how long it would take to traverse the country, so they sent a bunch of tanks down Route 30 (which goes right by my parents' house). It took 62 days! This is what inspired him to create the interstate system.

While in office, he was able to balance the budget three times. The 50's were the most prosperous decade in American history.



The living room- I love Mamie's inauguration dress!

 
That fireplace was in the White House while Lincoln was president. Julia Grant got rid of it because she thought it looked old fashioned. Eisenhower's staff tracked it down and purchased it for him. 

 
Love that chandelier! 

 
The wallpaper in the main entrance, next to the stairs. 

 

Eisenhower painted to relax. I would put these in my house!

 

 

I enjoyed learning this fact about Mamie. I also appreciate her love of pink. (I took videos of the pink bedroom and bathroom that I will post later.) I like that this was an informal couple who often ate dinner while watching tv. Eisenhower raised cattle and showed them. (But under a different name; he didn't want an unfair advantage.) They just seem like a really neat couple. I happily purchased some "I Like Ike" goodies at the end of the tour!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…