Skip to main content

Perfect San Francisco Day

Friday was the last day of the Pic Your Park Contest, and it was the most perfect day. I have a million parks to blog about in between D.C. and California, but for now I’ll just talk about my amazing day yesterday. 

(Also, I feel like I need to say that I’m not trying to be smug here. So many times, life does not go according to plan! I couldn’t believe how the universe seemed to be working in my favor for just this one day.) 

I woke up early in Reno and was hiking on the PCT when the sun came up. This actually put me a little behind schedule; I just wanted to keep hiking and see what was around the next corner or beyond the next ridge and finally realized I’d been wandering too long and needed to get back. But it was just so beautiful! 






There was hardly any traffic on the drive to Point Reyes. I’ve visited there before and will visit again, so I took a quick selfie and continued on. 



I drove over the Golden Gate Bridge (which I still get so excited about every time I do it) and easily found parking at the Presidio. 



I walked around for a bit, then drove down the street to Fort Point, where it was also no problem to park. I’ve tried to stop here a few times and it’s always been closed, so I was thrilled to see a new park. And also just thrilled to be in San Francisco, hanging out UNDER the Golden Gate Bridge. 









My next stop was San Francisco Maritime NHP, down by Fisherman’s Wharf. I was able to find street parking for $5!!! I took some pictures and treated myself to a chocolate soda for lunch at Ghirardelli Square. 






(Ice cream shaming!)

 I visited Rosie the Riveter and John Muir next; which also went smoothly and without incident. I’ve visited these before, too, so I just needed pictures. 





There was a slight problem as I tried to visit the Port Chicago Memorial. Turns out that one is on a fully operational military base, so you have to call ahead for an appointment. I later spoke to someone who said it took him three tries to get there; the NPS kept cancelling! So I got as close as I could and figured I’d leave it up to the judges if it should count as a visit. 



I was at my last park of the day by 5:00! I took a pic by the sign on the property, but in order to actually visit the house, you have to take a shuttle from downtown Danville. My plan was to do this today. I had a salad at Panera for dinner (because we don’t have Panera in Utah) and got to my hotel early. I spent the evening reading a Eugene O’Neill play, which I did not particularly enjoy, but that’s okay. It was a fabulous day. 



This morning I woke up early and then had to wait around because the earliest shuttle to the Eugene O’Neill site was at 10:15. When I got there at 10:05, they had this sign posted.



Tragedy! The website didn’t say anything about this! See, this is why I was so excited about things going smoothly the day before. This morning was a more typical example of how my life usually goes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…