Skip to main content

Alabama Day Two

I tried to go to the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site, but it was closed. Nooooooo! Luckily, I plan on going back to the Southeast next summer.



The Tuskegee Institute is in the same town. There are several areas to this national monument, so I chose to visit the George Washington Carver Museum. I watched movie and explored the displays of all the things he invented. What a brilliant man! I thought it was especially interesting how he made paint pigments from Alabama clay. I took lots of notes at this site and put them on my Instagram post, but I archived the post (along with many others; there were way too many pictures of my face for this contest) and now I can't find it. :-(






My next stop was the Selma to Montgomery National Historic Trail. I didn't go all the way to Selma, which I now regret after seeing the movie Selma. (This site affected me so much that I bought a class set of "Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom" for my students, and then we watched Selma.) The place I visited was the Lowndes Interpretive Center, partway between Selma and Montgomery. This was an excellent museum. Although it's way out in the middle of nowhere, it is well worth a visit. The ranger and I spoke for about 45 minutes about civil rights, both then and now. One thing that really struck me during our conversation was that the civil rights movement didn't really happen that long ago. It's hard to believe that people were treated this way so recently. But then, I see things on the news that tell me we still have such a long way to go.











From there, I had a long drive to Anniston, Alabama, where Freedom Riders National Monument is located. There's not much to see here; just a historic marker and a mural in the alley where the Greyhound Station was located. But there were signs that told the whole story of what happened. I felt like crying as I imagined the Klansmen throwing a bomb on the bus, blocking the door so no one could get off and yelling, "Let 'em burn!" I just can't comprehend this level of hatred.





I stayed in an EconoLodge near Birmingham that night, and it was like, the hotel of horrors. There was an enormous cockroach in the bathtub. When I pulled down the sheets, there was a bug in there as well. I asked if I could just get my money back and go to another hotel, but they refused. The offered to give me another room... it was two doors down from the last one, and there were bugs in there, too. And when I got up in the morning, I discovered that the outlet in the bathroom didn't work. There were no other mirrors, so I just couldn't do my hair that day. Why do I have a knack for always picking out the worst hotels???????

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…