Skip to main content

Minnesota State Parks Day 2

We spent the night in an RV near Duluth. We were up late, laughing so hard we cried. I have so much fun when Alex travels with me. At dinner the night before (at an upscale restaurant), he stole an empty toilet paper roll from the bathroom because he could tell by the code on it that it was made at the paper mill he used to work at. He came back from the bathroom and set this toilet paper roll on the table where we were about to eat, and I just about died laughing and advised himnot to do that on dates. He set it on the seat next to him and then forgot to take it when we left, so I can only imagine how confused the waitress was to find that at our table. 

Anyway, Sunday started off at Cascade River State Park. Gorgeous, just like the rest!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ujlqRtIlJEpL6hcF1BMhef0KAVAkWC8M

Then Alex did a hike to the tallest point in Minnesota while I relaxed and read a book.

Then we hiked to Devil’s Kettle Falls. No one knows how deep they are!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Zdc_OtVQowqR5eK4WW_zMoop8B1YaN_a

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1NultPit4B0KIQme5U-ObhTr_Lb40ABrS

There were sooooo many stairs on this hike.

Our next stop was Grand Portage National Monument. At the gift shop, Alex noticed the huge hardback version of Passport to Your National Parks. (A book you can use for collecting stamps.) He asked me why I didn’t have it, since it’s much more serious looking thanthe two little books I carry in my purse. I told him that,by the time I discovered the nicer one, I already had aton of stamps in the little ones. And then the lady working at the gift shop had a great suggestion! She saidI could just make color copies of my stamps and put them in the new book! How had I not thought of that?? The book also has a spot for a sticker next to every park, but she said she knows someone who prints out his favorite picture he takes at each park and uses those instead. I LOVE that idea! It would make the bookso much more personal!

Well, at this point I was gazing longingly at the book, but knew I shouldn’t spend the $25. Alex said, “Do you want it?” And I said, “Yes, but I shouldn’t...” and before I could finish my sentence, he had plunked down his credit card. Best gift ever!! Especially coming fromhim. He’s always telling me how proud he is of me and was my biggest fan during the Pic Your Park Contest. 

I was over the moon about my new book, and Alex insisted that I pose with it in front of the sign. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1NjfFTveRXHYj9o4tLUgY4SPKI5HV_VXY

The funny thing was that we picked this particular park for a momentous occasion. This park is all about the fur trade! Something I really didn’t want to hear about! But I did think it was interesting that this spot was the main hub for the fur trade, and the ranger said it was comparable to what the oil industry is today. Like, this remote, most unknown spot way up north used to be a major business center that most of the world knew about. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ITegN52nXJQk-Xwb8F2SyvWPWw6Q5JC8

After Grand Portage, we crossed the border into Canada. We wanted to hike to the High Falls of the Pigeon River, and we heard they were prettier on the Canadian side. This fox was running around the border crossing!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1JZ6wZi0Ky2gIZ0foOb8A4vse036wGi2I

These Falls were breathtaking, and we had the whole place toourselves. Alex proclaimed it to be his favorite waterfall in the U.S. We took a million pictures and got soaked in the spray. You can actually see the spray from pretty far away... I thought it was smoke and asked Alex what was on fire!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1aibMo9KHwgODBAEFhd8sewDHuMEQU-uf

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_vhS253rxXFLQtFyhHsbhj9-nOzKyeg8

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1qB4PPth2-cyac_xv6BYe2jDUYCVbdS5U

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1qYZUUVEjk19iLIunP0EFvAoAhYAAPf1_

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1jJtr88GH1Eo4gRBx6RgH6hE2NGcuhQOA
(Alex looking like a model, as usual.)

We stayed in Thunder Bay that night, which was not exactly the most scenic town. However, we ate at this restaurant that had sparkling rhubarb lemonade, and that might be the most tasty beverage I have every consumed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…