Skip to main content

Ocmulgee, Kennesaw, and MLK

Okay, 5 months later, let’s keep talking about last summer’s national park quest. 😂

On my way to Atlanta I stopped at Ocmulgee National Monument, which was one of those unexpectedly awesome sites where I wanted to stay much longer. I always wanted to be an archaeologist when I grew up. (And honestly, the way teaching has been lately, I’m wondering if it’s too late in life for a career change). I’ve been to some other mound sites, and I hate to say this, but they were not exactly thrilling. I think Effigy Mounds in Iowa would have been better to see from the air, but the mound site in Ohio... I mean, it’s just mounds. So why was Ocmulgee so fascinating to me?? Who knows, maybe it just had a certain kind of energy. They also had lots of interesting artifacts and this earth lodge you could go in. The floor was 1000 years old. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1hZKC_77CGeMDCngQLDqUETjoRp11-g2O

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1tlnzi7ouOj24pzx4vXKcGoASWiW4K66z

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=16n0ucu_DGCOQ1V6GUYzZ136GHakZ44WC

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=137CvimOtbBiGDAiRxEahdT0j3F9iyz52

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1reR1ZRIEGMZs3l0f_jqkbJ6J3r8wNRth

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=13apmYaTZZRyYjmU719BujwWGCXhKughy

Next up was Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park, north of Atlanta. This was a popular recreation site; lots of bikers. This is something I’ve noticed about all the battlefields- the locals use them to bike and walk their dogs. I was just talking to my friend the other day about how, the longer it’s been, the more the tragedy of an event fades from public consciousness. When I visited the Flight 93 Memorial, people were somber. Many of us cried in the museum. As we walked out to the crash site, I heard a man telling his son to be respectful because we were walking on people’s graves. At Pearl Harbor, my friend went on a tour led by a man who had been a child at the time of the bombing and was able to describe the feelings and experiences of the locals, and everyone on the tour felt impacted by that firsthand knowledge. But on the Civil War battlefields, there’s a disconnect. A few years ago, I experienced “Ford Family Fun Day” at Gettysburg, complete with balloon animals and face painting. I can’t imagine casually walking my dog and picking up its poop, on the site of the Flight 93 plane crash. But I guess it’s good that the positive energy is replacing the negative energy of these places. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1JEDeLHnPpLXQYHcwDPUG0mhWisz0b-2P

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1hX4qRYPiZNmuesSpuC6Phdj2xTc6BiKM
I don’t know why, but my favorite artifact was this handmade sock. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1yy8HibtMkUSQAgkXST_ohPclG3nPaiys

I appreciated this sign that reminded people to be aware of what happened at this site. 

Last stop of the day was the Martin Luther King NHS, and I didn’t spend a lot of time there because I’d already been there years ago, and there were some really annoying kids running around and being very disrespectful, so I couldn’t concentrate on what I was reading. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1KiJ8f9HCYp8djte8fFH-I6xsoxu67QyP

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1yuaZ3BBnrtZUSxL2NfbLgo7r-6d48ezj

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…