Skip to main content

Summer Plans

This has been a rough year. I had hip surgery in November, and it's felt like my life has just been frozen in place since then. Covid made things worse, and now I'm back to being in a lot of pain and found out I'll most likely need another surgery. I had high hopes for a trip to Alaska this summer, or at least some vagabonding and hiking, but my life remains just... stuck. 

I needed some ideas for things I can do that don't involve hiking. And I like to check things off lists. I had a very productive Zoom meeting with my friends Scott and Jen the other night, where he came up with some brilliant ideas for quests I could go on this summer, and Jen told me all about her three hip surgeries, which were very similar to mine. It was actually like a therapy session... we talked about all the emotions I'm having while dealing with health issues, and devised a treatment plan.

Scott is a pro-level quester. He's visited all 419 national park units, and he has tons of other quests, too, such as camping in every state, visiting a brewery in every state, visiting all the Japanese internment camps, visiting all the Manhattan Project sites... Scott lives a pretty epic life, and I feel lucky to have met him and Jen. Here's a link to his website:  


Learning that I have to go through another surgery was pretty devastating, but I was in a much better place emotionally after my talk with Scott and Jen. Here are the things that I hope to accomplish this summer.

Quests

  • Visit a historic site in every Utah county
  • Make a list of common wildflowers in Utah. Track them down and photograph them.
  • Visit 10 strange sites in SLC
  • Complete a creative activity at every NPS site in Utah (painting, singing, poetry, etc.)
  • Visit the National Historic Landmarks in Utah
  • Drive the National Scenic Byways in Utah (as well as some in Idaho and Wyoming) 
  • Visit all of the city parks
  • Find the best ice cream in SLC
  • Visit 5 haunted places
Things to Do
  • Learn how to fly fish (catch and release)
  • Go canoeing
  • Float trip down a river
  • Explore the rock art in Nine Mile Canyon
  • Fossil hunting at the Trilobite Quarry 
  • Make out at a drive in
  • Play badminton barefoot
  • Attend a few online lectures
  • Make cookies from the vintage Betty Crocker Cooky Cookbook
Making these lists helped me see that there's a lot I can still do, despite Covid and my hip. I think it's going to be a good summer. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1puniHbMG4kEF1hqlPtSbRwK08Fh4MQDR
(This picture has nothing to do with anything, but the post needed a picture.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…