Skip to main content

Last Dollar

"I'm down to my last dollar, I've walked right through my shoes
Just a small reminder of the hell that I've gone through
But look at me still smiling as I'm wondering what I'll do
Since I ain't got nothing I got nothing to lose..."

Here's a summary of my day:
This morning in the hall before school, a girl from another class grabbed one of my male student's nipples and twisted hard. He was (understandably), quite upset. The other kids felt it was necessary to inform me that that's called a purple nurple. Then someone asked me if you can get AIDS from kissing, and if not, how can you get it?

A few hours later, we were choosing people to write biographies on. (My students don't know who Helen Keller is. This scares me.) J randomly calls out, "Miss B, what is a See You Next Tuesday?" (I don't want to say the word here because it is very dirty and I never say it, but if you watch Sex and the City, you know what I am talking about.) He was serious- he had heard it in a movie and wondered about it. For some reason, my kids feel comfortable asking me questions like this, which is a blessing and a curse. At this moment, my principal walks in. Luckily, all she hears is me telling J that I never ever ever want to hear that word in my classroom again. "Is it worse than fag?" he asks me later. (He knows I hate this word.) "10 times worse," I reply, which just made the word seem even more cool and mysterious. I hear students quietly speculating about it for the rest of the day.

One of my most difficult students, K, was totally off-task and distracting other students this morning, so I sent him to a fourth grade classroom for a time-out. (I try to remind myself that he is one of God's children, so I need to love him, but it is just so hard with him.) In the other classroom, he unzips his pants and exposes himself to a fourth-grade girl. I wrote up the referral, but I'm not sure anything is being done about it.

I arrived home to a cold apartment. My heat wasn't working this morning, but I figured it was just a temporary aberration. Oh no, I couldn't be that lucky. It is now freezing in my apartment. I was going to call my landlord, but my phone got lost the other day, so I also lost her number. Also, my cable, internet, and home phone have been turned off because I am so past due on the bill, and there's no way I can pay till next Friday. (Part of the reason for this is having to buy the new cell phone.) So for the next few days, Panera will be my home away from home.

But for some reason, I'm still smiling. I'm pretending I'm in Rent. I always said I wanted to live the Bohemian life. Here's my chance. I just wish I could still have my email while I do it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…