Skip to main content

4th of July

I've been waiting to blog because I wanted to post pictures of Charity's wedding and the 4th. But ever since my computer crashed I can't figure out how to put pictures from my camera onto my computer. And since Dave spent 10 hours (on his birthday) installing a new hard drive, I really don't want to bother him with it.

So the 4th (and 3rd) were amazing! On the 3rd, I got downtown early and met up with some friends. We had a great spot where we could see the fireworks and the orchestra. I think the fireworks were better than I've ever seen them. I guess they used 500 more than usual this year. After the fireworks, we tried to get on the L to get back to my apartment. That's when the craziness started. Apparently there was a power outage on the subway. Imagine that huge mob of people with no way to get home- chaos. So my friend and I just started walking towards my apartment. We figured we could just get a cab when traffic cleared up. Traffic didn't clear up. There was an accident somewhere, so it was just completely stopped. So we ended up walking all the way back to my apartment. But it actually was super fun. It was raining and there were tons of people out and we figured it was good exercise.

Something worried me about the Taste this year. We saw a lot of angry people and fights that were about to break out, and it was always between people of different races. At one point, my friend went to get us some delicious Eli's Cheesecake. When she came back, she said she was afraid there was going to be an all-out riot. There was some dispute over who was first in line, and it had turned into a big black/white thing. Apparently there was a big mob of people and lots of cops.

I think Chicago is a very segregated city, and I think there are a lot of people who are unhappy about this. I also think there are a lot of people who are oblivious. Something needs to change, and I hope that change happens in a positive way.

Ok, I've rambled too much about the 3rd, so I won't say much about the 4th. I had a wonderful time in Naperville hanging out with some of my favorite people. We had lots of great food and lots of fireworks that I got in Indiana (although the cops came after we'd set off like, two, so we had to relocate to my parents' house). The fireworks in Naperville did not seem as good this year, but maybe that was because I'd been in Chicago the night before. Anyway, it was a fabulous holiday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…