Skip to main content

Halloween Festivities

I heart Halloween! I've been doing my best to fully participate in every Halloween activity possible, although my efforts have been hindered by my cold. (I can't believe I'm sick AGAIN!)

Friday was a half day of school, and it was also the Halloween parade! I dressed up as Miss Viola Swamp. Although I don't think I did such a good job, because everyone kept asking if I was the wicked witch of the west. It must have been the striped tights. Anyway, I did lots of heavy makeup and eyeliner and I looked all Goth and it reminded me of how much I loved that look. I tried to listen to Goth music on the way to work, but unfortunately, my ipod is filled with country and Christian music. Most of my kids were not that creative with their costumes, but one boy dressed up as mitosis, and it was awesome. He wore his school uniform and had a fake body attached to himself, also in uniform.

Friday night I watched An American Haunting. I thought it would be super scary, especially since it was a true story. But the end was pretty lame. I still ended up sleeping with my closet light on, though.

On Saturday, one of my favorite friends came over. We attempted to go to a pumpkin patch at a neighborhood park, but we were told it was only for kids. So sad. (And a little embarrassing.) We had lunch at Lou Malnati's on the west side and went back to my place to knit/embroider and watch the Scariest Places marathon on ABC family. It was nice and relaxing, which was good since I was starting to get sick. After Whitney went home, Nina called to invite me to a party in the south loop. I got all dressed up and added my Minnie Mouse ears so I was technically in costume. Nina was supposed to call me when they were like, 10 minutes away and I would meet them there. But she didn't call till midnight, and at that point, I could barely keep my eyes open. So I brushed out my curls and took off my makeup and went to bed.

Since I was up late on Saturday, I didn't go to my new member's class at church on Sunday morning. Also, it was Reformation Sunday (a big Lutheran holiday), so I was sad I missed church. But Nina and I hung out for most of the day, so that was nice. And we went to Dave and Sarah's housewarming party, which was fun. Then I went home and felt more sick and was up late doing homework, so I called in to work today.

So I know that watching scary movies doesn't sound like a lot of Halloween activities, but there are more exciting things coming. Tonight my small group is carving pumpkins. And tomorrow night, I'm going to Trails of Terror at Peterson Forest Preserve up on the north side. And, of course, Wednesday I'm going to put a big sign on my front door that says, "Trick-or-Treaters Welcome!" and pass out candy from this really cute pumpkin bowl I bought. I really hope I get a lot of trick-or-treaters!

Comments

Anonymous said…
hey! I'm leaving a comment!!! Hope your Viola Swamp costume and Halloween are great! Talk to you soon!
Anonymous said…
Halloween is tons of fun isn't it! :) I went to a halloween party on Saturday that was tons of fun! :) OH and I met a boy! Yay me! hehe...
I can't believe one of your students dressed up as mitosis! That's awesome. I was never that creative in school...lol That would have made my day as a teacher! Hope you had fun carving pumpkins and doing the scary trail thing. That's awesome. I'm taking stephen trunk-or-treating tonight at a local church. It's really neat. They park a bunch of cars in the parking lot with candy in their decorated trunks and the kids can safely go car to car and get candy. THey also have a bounce house and stuff for the kids. It'll be tons of fun. Then after Stephen goes to bed I am hanging out with the boy I met...pizza and a movie...lol Great fun. :) MIss ya tons! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…