Skip to main content

My Day

8:00 Arrive at school and remember I'm getting a new student. I had the girl's brother last year. He was good, but never did any work. The reason she is just now starting school is because she went to live with her mom in another state, but it did not work out. I have a feeling things are not going to be easy with this girl.

8:25 No faculty meeting! Sweet! A few extra minutes to grade papers.

8:55 Kids enter my classroom. They are being crazy and out of control. I make them go back in the hall and line up. They are not allowed to enter the classroom until they get it together.

10:05-11:00 The kids are at computers. It's my long prep day, and I am very productive. I'm in a great mood when I pick them up. They are being crazy again, and I have to calm them down before we enter the classroom.

11:05 I realize the new girl is not with the class. I'm informed that she went to the nurse.

12:20-12:50 Lunchtime. One of my students comes back from taking her inhaler in the nurse's office and tells me the new girl isn't there. After dropping my kids off at lunch, I find out she was sent home and no one told me. I arrive in the teacher's lounge and discover that my Weight Watcher's meal has already been eaten by someone else; the box is in the trash. Another 6th grade teacher tells me that my students have been distributing pictures of other 6th graders, and there are mean captions under the pictures. She asks me to look into it.

12:50 On the way to pick up my kids from lunch, I notice 6 of my students in the office. The principal tells me a story of milk throwing, food throwing, and fighting. Oh dear goodness.

1:00 Class discussion about what happened in computers. The discussion ends with me telling the kids to secretly write down who was doing what. After reading through the papers, I've determined that there were pictures of other students saved on all the computers. My kids starting mixing up their heads and bodies and just playing around. Then someone got the bright idea to print a bunch of copies, write captions on them, and distribute them, especially in the "victims'" lockers. (That's how one of my kids worded it.) Now, of course it was wrong for my students to do this, but where was their teacher during all this? This is the lady I have some issues with after the Houston trip last year. She complained to me that they were out of their seats, etc, so why didn't she put a stop to it? You would think she would notice the printing and whatnot. But I am also guilty of not knowing every little thing that goes on in my classroom, so I shouldn't judge.

1:15-1:45 Extended recess for the kids who were not throwing food or seriously involved in the computer incident.

1:45 Bathroom break. L. is angry that I'm going to tell his mom about the computer thing and starts going off on me about how I'm a little tattletale. The kids look at me to see what I'll do, so I have to send him to the office. I send down a referral a few minutes later.

2:15 The principal stops in my room to ask me questions about the referral. She walks into a lesson on dominant and recessive traits and sees my kids rolling their tongues. Seriously, every time she walks in, something weird is going on. At least she didn't walk in yesterday when I had K laying on some desks and was pouring salt all over him to prepare him for mummification (a little demonstration I do).

3:00 Finally, they go home. And I am exhausted. Because I haven't eaten and I was out late last night with some friends from high school. Why do they always pick days like that to misbehave?

Here is what I can't figure out about my class. They are reasonably well-behaved for me. (I have minor issues occasionally, but they listen to me and respect me.) Why are they little monsters as soon as I leave them?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…