Skip to main content

Favorite People

If this weekend had a title, it would be called The Weekend of My Favorite People. Because that’s totally what it was.

The weekend really started with Thursday night, when Whitney and I went to Lalo’s for dinner. We each just had one margarita, but as Whitney said, it was like drinking a bowl of tequila. We actually had to come back to my place so I could sober up before driving Whitney home. There was lots of merriment and giggling. Good times.

I didn’t have to go to work on Friday because I had a doctor’s appointment. (I asked my doctor about my super high heart rate when I work out, and she said it’s because I’m out of shape. “But I’ve been working out regularly for over a year,” I protested. “Doesn’t matter,” she replied. “That’s just the way your heart is. Some of us just aren’t born to be athletes. It’s survival of the fittest.”) After leaving Dr. Sweet’s, I stopped by my brother’s and saw his apartment for the first time, which I feel pretty guilty about since he’s lived there for a year now. He and his girlfriend are still doing really well, and I can’t wait for them to make it official.

Friday night I went up to the north side to hang out with Jen and her little girls. Parker, my goddaughter, is freakin adorable. She’ll be 2 in August, and she talks so much. She’s so smart! I love hanging out with Jen; we’ve been friends for so long that it’s just comfortable and relaxing to be with her. I wish I saw her more often. On the way home, I chatted with Rachel, my female soul mate, who is now sporting quite the baby bump courtesy of Mico, her husband and male soul mate. Rachel calls me hunny bunny. Love it.

Pete came over Friday night, and as usual, I was happy to see him. But my emotions are weird right now. A few months ago he started joking about us ending up together, and it made me start thinking about what it would be like to date him. However, I know it was just casual, drunk comments; he didn’t really mean all that. But he’s definitely on my list of favorite people. He wished me a happy Mother’s Day. It was sweet.

Saturday morning started with a nice long talk with Paula, who I desperately miss. She needs to move to Iowa! I love how she is so willing to listen to me obsess, even though I make the same mistakes over and over. And I love hearing about her life, which is a really good life and I’m so happy for her. Then I spent most of Saturday just doing laundry and watching The Blind Side (I cried and cried). I decided to go hang out with my birthmom at the last minute, and I’m so glad I did. We laughed and laughed (don’t worry, Kathy, I won’t tell everyone on the internet what happened as a result of your laughing), and we drank wine and watched Juno. It was just perfect for Mother’s Day. We were both crying at the end, of course. I’m so lucky to have her in my life.

Today was just lovely. That’s the perfect word to describe it. I met my parents and brother at a nice little Italian restaurant in downtown Naperville for brunch, and it was just so nice because we’ve gotten to a point where we genuinely enjoy each other’s company. We had so many problems when Andy and I were younger; we were the biggest brats. But now we just have fun. I really love spending time with them. Maybe that sounds like a weird thing to say, but I do think there are a lot of people out there who can’t say that.

After lunch, Andy and I went to visit my grandma in the hospital. A nurse came in to check her vitals right after we got there and was concerned by how high her pulse was. “My grandchildren are here,” she explained. “I’m just very excited to see them, especially together.” She told us stories about growing up on a farm during the Depression, and we reminisced about how much fun we used to have going to Grandma’s house. When it was time to go home, she’d always make us goody bags to cheer us up because we’d be so sad about leaving. They always had M&M’s, Salerno butter cookies, and I think Saltines. (Fact check, Katie?) Anyway, she looks really good for having pneumonia, and it was so nice to see her.

The perfect ending to this weekend was a phone call from Jacob tonight. He called to wish me a happy Mother’s Day, which he’s never done before. I love that kid so much, and I am so thankful that his parents encourage our relationship.

So it was not a very eventful weekend, but it definitely felt that way because of all the time spent with my favorite people. Moving is going to be really hard.

Comments

Fab Free Fun said…
Jacob is so adorable!! What a blessing!
Whitney said…
It sounds like a perfect weekend to me. :)
Katie said…
Yep, butter cookies, m&ms and saltines! I miss those! They were the best goody bags :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…