Skip to main content

I Heart Fall

I love fall so much. I was sooo homesick last year during fall. It sucked knowing that everyone back home was wearing sweatshirts, and in Phoenix it was still 95 degrees at the end of October. (Of course, once December hit, it was like fall and spring for 5 months with no winter- heaven!)

Saturday I went for a gorgeous 8 mile hike on the Ice Age Trail up in Wisconsin. I didn't see another soul, so it was the very best kind of hike. I even did part of it without my iPod on because it was just so quiet; I love that sound of absolute silence and feeling like you're the only one around for miles and miles. Other things I loved about my hike were:




  • The vivid fall colors- all the trees are changing!


  • The sound of leaves crunching under my feet


  • The perfect sweatshirt weather


  • The smell of fall (why does it always smell like something is burning in the fall??)





I wish my iPhone took better pictures. The colors don't look right. But I loved walking through this:



Into this:



In Phoenix I complained all the time about the lack of green, so now I'm trying not to take it for granted.




You can't really tell, but the leaves were all different colors. It was the perfect time to go!



Other things I love about fall:


  • New beginnings. I love starting fresh with a new class. September is the honeymoon period, where all the kids are too scared to misbehave and you're all energized and full of new ideas after the summer. I feel like I run on adrenaline the whole month because I'm so busy and excited. One of my favorite things in life is possibilities and starting new things.

  • Candles. I love burning cinnamon-y candles! Oh, how I miss the 50% off I got when I worked at Yankee for 5 years. I'd love to buy some Harvest and Macintosh. But I can't bring myself to pay full price, so I've been burning some Target knockoffs that are almost as good. My mom's been burning this Marshmallow one from Bath and Body that is amazing. The whole house smells good!

  • Fall foods. I love apple cider donuts and candy corn and warm apple crisp with ice cream. And of course, caramel apples from Dan's in Joliet- the best caramel apples in the world!!

  • Sleeping with my windows open wearing warm pajamas and fuzzy socks.

  • Going to the store on Sunday morning and seeing everyone in their Bears gear.

Fall is the best!! I'm just trying not to think of what's coming next...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…