Skip to main content

Waiting

I was going to blog this morning anyway, and then I got an email from my birthmom saying, "I haven't heard from you in a while... Are things really good or really bad?"

I don't know how to answer that.  There's nothing exciting happening in my life right now, but there's a lot in the works.  And it's all stuff that requires me to just wait and see.  So, at small group last night, my prayer request was for peace as I wait it out. 

Bernie and I are still talking.  I had to spend Friday night at home doing work, so he suggested we watch a movie together while I was working.  "OMG, Eclipse is on!  Let's watch that!" I suggested, totally not meaning it.  But he agreed.  And watched the whole thing.  At one point, I was apologizing for the terrible acting, and he was like, "We're in this together, baby."  It was fun to have the Edward vs. Jacob debate with him, and also to watch the movie again now that I've been to the Olympic Peninsula.  He called me after the movie, and we were on the phone for five hours.  (Just for the record, that has never happened before.  There are a few people- Kristin, Amanda, Paula- who I usually talk to for about an hour.  But five hours is ridiculous.)  However, as much as I am in like, I can't let myself get too carried away when he still hasn't come to visit.  Which he might.  Very soon. 

While I haven't actually been doing much over the past month, I have been planning.  Smoky Mountains are going to be amazing.  And I plan on spending at least a month in the Sierras this summer.  It works out perfectly because Bernie wants to do some big wall climbing (where it takes multiple days to complete the climb, so you actually sleep hanging from the cliff) and live at Camp 4, and I want to... well, there are like, a million hikes I still want to do there.  Tuolumne Meadows is calling my name.  And we have a score to settle

I know this is not exciting news to anyone else, but I led four data review meetings yesterday, and they went really well.  Last year, I'd go back to my classroom and try not to cry afterwards.  This year, I felt like so many positive things came out of each meeting.  These can get tricky because people often take things personally.  When you see that only 34% of your students are benefitting from core instruction, and the goal of the meeting is to figure out why and put some strategies in place to fix it, it's easy to be discouraged and to feel like it's your fault.  But I don't think that happened yesterday.  We had some really great dialogue, and teachers are willing to try some new strategies.  A lot of the teachers were just impressed by the spreadsheets; they've never even sat down to examine the data.  So, although the meetings weren't perfect, they were a huge step in the right direction, and I'm so happy with how everything went. 

So right now, I'm waiting.  It's the calm before the storm.  Things are about to get crazy.  I know I should try to enjoy this quiet time, but I'm so excited for whatever God has planned for me next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…