Skip to main content

Mount Ellen and camping in The Swell

The past two days have not gone according to plan, and that's okay.

Yesterday was a rough day. After the previous night's rain, the morning was spent drying out our stuff, not running a canyon. I talked everyone into going to see a waterfall on their way out of town. It was supposed to be a 15 minute walk down a creek. 30 minutes later, everyone else decided they were over it. We said goodbye right there in the water, and I continued on alone. The waterfall was less than impressive.

I wandered around for a while and explored Mount Hillers, then camped at Little Egypt again.

I was super excited to go hike Mount Ellen this morning. Mount Ellen is the highest point in the Henry Mountains, which are so remote, they were the last mountain range in the Lower 48 to be mapped. I've never heard of anyone hiking up there, so I thought it would be fun to do that. The drive up the mountain was beautiful; everything was so lush and green. It sounded like an easy hike- park at Bull Creek Pass at 10,500 feet and hike to the summit at 11,500 feet.

And then, all of a sudden, the road was completely covered in snow.

There was nowhere to turn around. I was so scared. I was going to have to reverse quite a ways downhill and around curves on a narrow shelf road with a huge drop off.

I texted Jason and Paula because I needed to not feel like I was alone in that moment. I was terrified. Ever since I backed into Nina's car and gave it a "dimple" in high school, I've had very little faith in my reversing skills. But I gave myself a pep talk and started inching backwards. And I survived.

I felt pretty shaky after this ordeal, so I pulled over as soon as I found a good spot. As I calmed down, I started to notice just how perfect this spot was; grass and dandelions in the middle of a desert. I couldn't help but twirl around and have a Sound of Music moment. Then I took things to the next level and turned on Let It Go and sang along at the top of my lungs. I felt so happy in that moment.

I sat there and read for a while. I'm reading this fascinating book by Elizabeth Gilbert called "The Last American Man." Then I spent the afternoon in Hanksville, showering, talking to my parents, etc. My next stop was the San Rafael Swell.

I am camping in an absolutely amazing spot in an ancient reef. When I look at the holes in the rock, I can easily imagine Nemo and his friends popping in and out of them. I went for a walk after dinner and climbed and explored and was utterly content. I am in a beautiful place. I am happy.

(For some reason, the pictures want to be all out of order. I'm just using the Blogger app and can't fix it. But the pics are all from my campsite last night and my drive up Mount Ellen.)

Here is a video of my campsite:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vONUl4qNkjk

And here is a video of my Sound of Music moment on Mount Ellen:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5y_DlEmJyLE















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…