Skip to main content

North Wash: Day 2

Jason got up at the crack of dawn the next day to drive into Hanksville to check the weather report. (Cell phone reception is scarce in southern Utah.) He came back with bad news, although we'd already guessed by looking at the sky: more rain. But this time we were prepared with a Plan B, so we headed to Hogwarts- a short, easy canyon close to the road. The approach was fun, scenic, and relatively easy (that's what I love about the North Wash canyons), and the canyon was gorgeous. Jason sat back and let us do all the rope work, so I enjoyed setting up rappels and getting more familiar with rope management. Sia went first on each rappel and proved yet again what a competent badass she is. Sia is awesome because she is a little clumsy and she talks in her dogs' voices and calls herself Frances when she does something stupid. And yet, when stuff gets real, she knows what to do. If something bad happens, she's someone I want around.

Although it was her first canyon, Laura was already an expert. When Sia and I had trouble climbing up something, Laura set up a handline for us. She helped carry the rope and acted like a monkey, climbing all over the place just for fun. It was a glimpse of why Jason loves his job so much; it is so fun to see someone in a canyon for the first time.

Laura really helped me out several times in this canyon. We arrived at a pothole, which Jason expertly stemmed over and immediately downclimbed the next obstacle. Laura followed, but before she continued climbing, I yelled at her to wait. The phrase "semi-keeper pothole" popped into my head as I thought back to the beta. I hoped the pool would only be a few inches deep. But I fell in mid-sentence as I was explaining to Laura why I might need her help, and the water was over my head. I was so glad she was right there to help pull me out of that freezing cold water. Jason later joked that I should be the official expert on potholes, since if there is one, I'll most likely be swimming in it.

Right after the pothole was a downclimb. I'm not sure why, but I totally panicked about it. It seemed insurmountable. Jason must have heard something in my voice, because he climbed back up to give me a pep talk. I was even having a little trouble breathing. It was a totally irrational response and I'm embarrassed about it now, because Hogwarts is like, a kids' canyon. Luckily, Laura came to the rescue and spotted me.

Towards the end of the canyon we came to a pool that Jason and Laura bridged over easily. I was resigned to getting wet again, but Jason was insistent that I bridge it. "I am NOT LETTING YOU go in that water," he said. But I was convinced I wasn't tall enough. Laura saved the day yet again by climbing back over to me and coaching me and Sia through it, showing us exactly where to put our hands and feet. I was so thankful for her in this canyon!

This has already been a long post, but the day was only half over. After a quick break for lunch, we decided to do Blarney. We did not begin hiking till 4:00. When we reached the top of the ridge, Jason informed us that we were in the wrong spot. We were looking at Leprechaun, and we wanted Blarney, which was the next system over. He didn't seem worried, and we were following an obvious trail, but that's when I started to feel uneasy.

A few minutes later, we were looking at the head of a canyon. "Isn't this it?" I asked. "This looks familiar."

"Nope, next one over," said Jason. So we traipsed after him, and I tried to ignore the feeling in my gut. We kept gaining elevation, and that made no sense because Blarney only has two rappels, a 30 and a 45. We were getting too high for that to be possible.

Normally, in this area, ending up in the wrong drainage would not be the end of the world. The only R-rated slot was several canyons down. The problem was, we only had 100 feet of rope, and we were running out of daylight. We got to the head of the next canyon, and Jason said "this is it." Sia and I decided to finally voice our concerns. Both of us had that feeling that this was wrong, but Jason insisted he knew where we were. He and Laura expertly downclimbed into the canyon, and Sia and I eyed it skeptically. I didn't like it, but was willing to follow Jason. I just knew I'd need a spot. Sia, on the other hand, got into position, and then changed her mind. "Not doing it," she said. She wasn't afraid to assert herself. She was going to hike back to the car. As soon as she said that, I knew I was joining her. I had done Blarney two years ago when I was completely new to canyoneering. That downclimb would have terrified me back then. And yet, I just remember Blarney being a walk in the park. "Pleasant" is the word that comes to mind. So this COULDN'T be the right canyon.

We split up, but about fifteen minutes later we spotted Laura and Jason.

It was the wrong canyon.

We went back to the previous canyon, and Jason and Laura decided to go for it. Laura was a little hesitant after Jason's mistake, but I told her I trust Jason with my life. He might not be right 100% of the time, but I knew he would never put me in an unsafe situation; he would never commit to a canyon (meaning pull the ropes and leave no way out) unless he was absolutely sure about it.

Sia and I decided to pass because oh, did I mention we hadn't brought headlamps? Laura and Jason could move much faster on their own, so we decided to leave them to it. I just have to say, hiking back to your car on the approach trail feels like when you go to Wisconsin Dells and you get all the way to the top of a huge waterslide and realize it's too scary, so you have to hike back down the stairs with your inner tube under your arm.

As we waited for them, I worried aloud and Sia worried silently, figuring out a rescue plan, but they emerged from the canyon even sooner than we'd expected. Apparently they did have a few moments of fear when they reached a third rappel that wasn't in the beta. Jason thinks conditions in the canyon have changed, creating the need for the rappel. However, I think he was nervous about the anchor and kept telling Laura not to create a "dynamic event." This phrase made us laugh so hard later. Laura was like, "Why didn't he just tell me not to fall??" He also told her they were in a "rescue situation," so that really took the adventure up a notch for poor Laura. For me, Blarney was a lovely few hours in a canyon. For Laura, it was a bit of an ordeal.

We set up camp at Burr Point, thinking of how beautiful the sunrise would be. (And it was.) Sia cooked us gourmet pasta for dinner. As we feasted, we noticed the wind was picking up. Sia and Laura had pitched their tents on a ledge overlooking the canyon and were just a little concerned. After Laura's tent almost blew away (it was too rocky for stakes), she relocated closer to the cars. And then, the skies opened up and it poured. We all dove for shelter except Jason, who sat outside laughing and doing his war cry. I have to admit, it was funny when we were all yelling and running around to put stuff away, and Jason turned on the Jim Gaffigan skit about camping (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqIpYhM6PE&feature=kp) But the rain went on and on, and Sia and Laura eventually gave up and climbed into the cars with me and Jason. Laura said she thought she was dry, but then saw that there was a puddle of water accumulating under her sleeping pad. The wind was trying to blow her tent over, and the tent was actually hitting her in the face. Sia was afraid there would be a mudslide that would sweep her over the edge of the canyon. I'm so glad they came in and slept with us.

And sadly, that was how our day ended. No s'mores, no drinking around the campfire... And I knew we wouldn't be getting up super early to do Slideanide like we'd originally planned because we have to dry out all of our stuff and we might even have trouble getting back on the dirt road.

Stupid rain.

(I realize there are way too many pictures below, but I had trouble deciding. You can see the scene of my nervous breakdown, and the part where Laura helped us bridge across the water. I also love the picture where Sia and I are looking so irritated... We KNEW that was not the right canyon.)





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…