Skip to main content

FreezeFest 2014

I feel like I wasn't actually there long enough to say I went to FreezeFest! After a harrowing drive through sub-zero temps in Nebraska and a snowy Vail pass in Colorado, I arrived in Hanksville. I drove down to camp the next morning, where everyone was hanging out in their cars with the heat on. There was talk of a canyon, but options were limited due to the snow on the ground. We finally agreed on a canyon, but the more we thought about it, the more unappealing it sounded.

"You know," I told Adam and Kristin, "I have beer. Lots of beer. And a warm hotel room with a shower." 

Done. No canyon that day. But on the way back to town, I suggested we stop at Little Egypt and play in the snow. 




And later, we went on a nice hike through Little Wild Horse Canyon, where Kristin and I had a little photo shoot in hopes of appearing on our favorite Instagram account, The_Topless_Tour. Kristin was having SO much fun in the snow. Adam was a little less enthused.







After the canyon, they dropped me off at the hotel. I had dinner and got ready to spend New Year's Eve around the camp fire. But I walked out the door and saw snow. Lots of snow falling heavily and accumulating. I didn't want to spend New Year's Eve stuck in a ditch with no cell service, so I opted to ring in the new year alone in my hotel room. Surprisingly, I was totally okay with this and went to bed at 10:00.

When I arrived at camp the next morning, everyone was packing up and clearing out. We'd gotten 8 inches of snow! Kristin and Adam followed me, feeling a little nervous about the driving conditions. The roads weren't great; they'd been plowed, but not salted, so they were icy. Suddenly we arrived at this open expanse of unplowed road, and I just took off, squealing with delight. 



I am glad to be back in warmer temperatures, but I miss the snow. It was a short stay in Utah, but still amazing and beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…