Skip to main content

Movie Reviews

I came back to Phoenix and had nothing to do for a few days, and it was 106 degrees, so I watched a lot off movies. 

Magic Mike:
This movie was terrible and wonderful all at once. Terrible because I still got confused sometimes despite the plot being very simple: going to a stripper convention. And wonderful because... Channing Tatum. I had no idea. Now I definitely need to see the first one. His wife is a very lucky woman. 

The Lucky One:
I feel a feminist rant coming on here... Nicholas Sparks writes romance novels, okay? That's exactly what they are, but no one actually calls them that because men don't write "romance novels." There's a stigma attached to that genre. But women love romance, so somehow this guy's books keep turning into movies, despite the fact that they are filled with bad romance novel cliches. I mean, his plots are totally unoriginal! I know some fantastic female authors whose books would make awesome movies. But these talented women are not getting movie deals because they write "romance novels." I think I need to start writing some letters to Hollywood.

That being said, I didn't mind The Lucky One. After all, I do enjoy romance novels, and that's exactly what it was. 

Horrible Bosses 2: 
I really really love these actors, especially Charlie Day, but I completely lost interest and didn't even finish the movie.

The Duff:
Cute teenage movie! I thought it was sweet and enjoyed it. Probably would have liked it even more if I was still in high school.

50 Shades of Grey:
All right, another rant... 
Amanda and I knew this movie would be bad and had so much fun laughing at it. We've also come to the conclusion that what guys apparently want are girls with no personality, because there is nothing remarkable about Ana. Amanda had to leave about halfway through the movie, which was good because the sex scenes started getting pretty graphic and I think I would've felt pretty awkward with someone else in the room.

The way the book/movie ends is absolutely terrible. Ana just doesn't understand why Christian isn't happy with vanilla sex, and he holds back, but finally at the end she's all "just show me what you're into!" So he does and she's all upset and calls him a sadist. At this point, he should have said, "Yes, that's exactly what I am. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as the sex I'm having is safe, sane, and consensual. But since you are clearly not a masochist, we should just end this now."

Instead, there are another two books/movies in which Ana tries to cure him of this disease, and by the end of the series he's totally cool with vanilla sex. So annoying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…