Skip to main content

Cookies and Cocoa Party

Me: I can't believe all these people came!

Adam: Well, you said it was the social event of the season.

Me: But I was just being silly!

Adam: Apparently everyone took you seriously.


My friend Sarah gave me this book years ago for my birthday. She passed away last spring, and I didn’t get around to reading it until a few months ago. I really, really wish she was still here, because I want to tell her how much I love it. It was the perfect gift! Dorothy Draper is my new hero!

I sent out printed invitations way back in October… I figured it was good to give people advance notice, because calendars fill up fast around the holidays. Also, I wanted to set the tone for the party. I wanted everyone to know it was going to be FABULOUS!

The Menu:



Chocolate Chip Cookies (boring old Nestle recipe, added pecans)






I set out mason jars with toppings- Heath bits, chocolate chips, marshmallows, candy canes, Pirouettes… Honestly, there were more things I’d planned on using, such as peanut butter chips and whip cream, but I forgot to pick them up at the store and the thought of another trip to Safeway made me want to cry.


Other things I set out on the table: milk bottles with red carnations, sparkly votive holders I made, and mugs from the dollar store. (Dorothy Draper says every party should have fresh flowers and candles.) My birthmom got me that cake stand, which I absolutely love.

I made the Merry and Bright sign using this tutorial. It took many hours of football viewing to complete it. I made the Ho Ho Ho sign from this tutorial, and my mom and I made the bunting from this tutorial. The snowflakes on the wall are all from the dollar store.

I swapped out everything in my picture frames for Christmas prints. I found free printables on Pinterest, then printed them at Walgreens for super cheap. Here are a few of my favorites:



Most of my printables were religious, except this one:



I had two crockpots of hot chocolate going in the kitchen. My rationale was that they would keep the hot chocolate warm throughout the party. However, tons of people showed up all at once, I ran out of the white hot chocolate fast (that was definitely the more popular of the two), and then I realized it was going to take two hours to make more. Eeek! I am not the best at logistics, so this hadn’t occurred to me. My other logistical issue was the mulled wine. It’s only supposed to be on the stove for 10 minutes, otherwise the alcohol starts to evaporate. So, I planned on making it right at 7:00 (when the party started). Well, the doorbell started ringing and my apartment was flooded with people (around 35 people in my one bedroom apartment!) and I was all scattered and it was taking me forever to finish this simple task. Dorothy Draper assumes that most people have maids, or can at least hire one for a party; I wish she had addressed what to do if you don’t have a maid! It’s so hard to balance socializing with attending to your guests’ needs. I am so lucky to have friends like Amanda, Kristin, and Sia.

Amanda was my official “co-hostess.” I know she is a true friend because she arrived early and said, “What can I do?” I needed to do dishes and mop my floors, and she did the floors for me. Once the party started, she made sure everyone had what they needed and that everyone had someone to talk to and no one was left out. When Sia and Kristin arrived, they kicked me out of the kitchen and took over.

Honestly, most of the party is kind of a blur (and not because I was drinking!). My only regret is not having nearly enough time to talk to everyone. There were so many awesome people there, some of whom I don’t know very well and want to get to know better. I also wanted to facilitate conversations between some of my friends who don’t know each other but would be best friends given the chance.

But I had so much fun. I love having all of my favorite people in one place, and I love it when people enjoy my baked goods. The most important thing Dorothy Draper emphasizes is making your guests feel that they are wanted. She guarantees people will enjoy your party if you are sincere in welcoming them to your home. I hope everyone felt welcome and had a good time. I am already thinking ahead to my next event!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…