Skip to main content

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving 2015 started out with me losing my shit because I couldn't find decorative gourds anywhere. I had a vision for a centerpiece I'd seen on Pinterest, but none of the stores were selling pumpkins and gourds anymore. They all looked at me like I was crazy and said they'd already moved on to Christmas. I tried to remind myself that this was a first world problem and made due with some fresh flowers and decorations from around the house. 


I made these place cards and a "worksheet" where people could write what they're thankful for. Everyone who chose to participate wrote some type of alcohol. Does that say something about our priorities?!


Thanksgiving itself was pleasant and relatively uneventful. Mom and Dad were pretty stressed about trying out the deep fryer for the first time... There was quite a bit of cursing, and then Dad reached for the whiskey. I managed to snap a few pics as the lowered the turkey into the deep fryer... The look on my mom's face cracks me up.



Michael and his girlfriend, Lauren, made a ton of guac. They were trying to be silly here, but I think it's actually a cute picture!

Katie brought the ingredients for Moscow Mules.

I brought this caramel pecan pie all the way from Phoenix, and it totally fell apart when we cut it. :-(

During Thanksgiving dinner, I mentioned that I had watched "Holiday Inn" on the flight to Chicago and thought it was so funny when Bing Crosby appeared in black face and sang about Lincoln. So offensive. And then my dad casually mentioned that he'd been put in black face for some activity with the Scouts when he was a kid. OMG!!

Nina and I chose to Opt Outside on Friday, but it was cold and rainy. Still, I'm glad we hiked instead of shopping!





Mom and Dad put up all FOUR of their Christmas trees, including this little one that snows on itself. I was skeptical at first, but it is actually kind of cool. But I have a feeling they are going to have little styrofoam balls all over their house.

Saturday night was Nancy's bachelorette party. Somehow, I didn't get any pictures of people, but I did get a picture of my beloved cat, Lucy, in front of my painting the next day. My painting sucks... It will probably end up in my classroom or in the garbage. But the party was fun! I hope it was everything Nancy wanted it to be. 


The other highlight of my trip was spending time with this sweet boy. 






This last picture is what Jack did when I stole his spot on the couch; he put his face down on the ottoman and whimpered. It was so pathetic. 

I really enjoyed this time with my family and friends. It's nice to know I'll be back in a few weeks for Christmas. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…