Skip to main content

34

This was a weird birthday because I was sick. So, I alternated between sleeping and doing my favorite things. 

I took a sick day on Friday, my actual birthday. I relaxed all morning, then went to the Cubs game with Sia, then relaxed some more. I think I was in bed by 9:00 because I really wasn't feeling well. 

(I can't find my pics except on Instagram, so I just took screenshots. Sorry I am technology-illiterate.)



I was supposed to do Shake Tree with Kristin and Adam on Saturday, but Adam was afflicted with the same thing I had. He stayed home, and Kristin indulged me by going on one of my AZ Bucket List hikes. The hike to Atascosa Lookout was fantastic! Amazing scenery in every direction. I didn't take many pictures, but I would highly recommend that hike to anyone. I love how different the landscape is in southern AZ; it transitions from desert to grassland.

(Kristin doing yoga on the hike)

(The summit)


(Photo taken by Kristin)

After sleeping for 11 hours (I really wasn't up for hiking the day before), I woke up sunburned and still sick. I got ready for church and had some extra time, so I decided to clean out my camping kit in preparation for spring break. Unfortunately, my bear spray leaked all over everything. I tried to be careful and not come in direct contact with it, but I was unsuccessful. The pepper spray had me coughing and my eyes were tearing up and there was snot dripping out of my nose, so I reached for a tissue and when I held it up to my nose, I got the bear spray on my face.

I still tried to go to church, but I only made it about two blocks before I turned around. There was no way I could go out in public like this. I soaked a paper towel in soy milk and pressed that on my face while I texted Amanda to reassure her that I would NOT be missing my birthday brunch after church. I had been looking forward to it all week!

"Friend, I want to take you out to your brunch for your birthday," Amanda had said. "Somewhere fabulous. Somewhere new. Somewhere with mimosas. Anywhere your heart desires!"

I thought about it for a few days and finally said, "Umm... Can we just go to IHOP?" It's a guilty pleasure. I love their Cinnastack pancakes and hashbrowns. Luckily, Amanda is a good sport and my birthday wish came true. I even got to invite Denise and Brian!

Amanda presented me with a gift bag at the end of brunch and instructed me to not open it until I got home. Good thing I waited, because I was overwhelmed. 


Inside this mason jar were letters from most of my closest friends and family. Letters full of sweet words about the things they appreciate the most about me. Many people used the word fearless. (Ha! If only they knew.) My aunt said I have a knack for making friends everywhere I go. Sia said I don't just talk about things, I DO things. Denise called me a "kindred spirit." And my mom even composed a limerick: 

"There once was a sweet girl named Erin, 
Well-known for her kindness and carin',
In her cool Subaru
Through the canyons she flew,
And all the while smilin' and carin'"

I have to admit, it made me feel like a bit of a fraud. I don't see these qualities in myself, but I'm thankful to be so loved. What a beautiful thing for Amanda to do! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…