Skip to main content

Staying Local

Canyoneering season is almost here, which means I will be out of town a lot. So, I've staying in town for the past few weeks and explored some local hiking spots.

Okay, I guess I didn't exactly stay in town last Saturday. I wanted to do a long day trip, so I drove up through Wyoming and dropped down into the Uintas near Manila, UT. I've decided that the Uintas are not my favorite. They are pretty for sure, but they are round and not as scenic as other mountain ranges.

I started off with the Sheep Creek Geologic Loop Scenic Drive, which was amazing. I really do love this state. There were lots of places to get out and climb around and explore.




Then I took the long dirt road out to Spirit Lake, and from there I hiked to some other lake which I've already forgotten. It was a nice hike, but I had planned on doing some topless sunbathing out there and was prevented from doing so by a huge family and hordes of mosquitoes.


Part Two of this day took me through Flaming Gorge down towards Vernal. Even though it was hot, I stopped to do a two mile hike to Moonshine Arch. Oh my holy. I sat there in this spot that felt sacred, and all this poetry came to mind, and I was reminded that, even though the mountains are pretty, the sandstone has my heart. I took a million pictures and took off my Chacos and sat there with my bare feet on the rock, just breathing and enjoying the silence. This place had really good energy.








I left at 8:45 that morning and was home by 9:45 that night. So, for everyone who was like, "You drove all the way to Vernal in a day???" it was not bad at all.

First thing the next morning, I got up and hiked to Willow Lake. This was a great workout hike. The first part kicked my butt, but it was short. And then I sat at the lake and watched the ducks, and it made my heart happy. And then I ran back down the trail.




I hiked to Lake Solitude on Monday morning, which was nice and short and I think it would be a great hike for visiting friends. I saw a moose at the beginning of the trail, and then later on some random guy jumped out from behind a tree to scare me (he thought I was his son, who was supposed to be right behind him) then I sat at the lakes and was delighted to see that there were ducks there, too.


It was a great weekend of hiking!

Oh, and then I drove 45 miles for what were rumored to be the best peaches in the state. They were good, but the best part was this homemade pound cake with ice cream, peaches, and raspberries.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…