Skip to main content

Awkward

Faye and I went to DC's last night as usual. We walked in at the same time as this obnoxious family, and I thought to myself, we need to avoid them. (The kids were around our age; I'm not talking about little kids.) So we put our stuff down on our usual picnic table, and I went out to dance to "Mind Your Own Business." Faye chose to sit that one out, and when I came back, the drunk uncle was talking to Faye. About me, apparently. He introduced himself and said he wanted me to meet his nephew. Ugh.

So I meet his nephew, who, at first, seems nice. Super tall, though- he is 6'6". It made slow dancing difficult, as I am only 5'1". Anyway, we talk and he seems all right. I'm not interested in dating him, but I never mind meeting new people.

Well, like 10 minutes after I meet him, he goes away for a few minutes and his uncles comes over and asks if he's told me about his dad yet. Then he proceeds to tell me this whole story about how his dad was murdered 9 months ago, and this is his mom's first time out since then. So sad. But awkward! Then the guy, Jason, comes back, and without knowing what his uncle has said, also tells me this whole sad story. What do you say to that? And that was pretty much how the rest of the night went. Faye called him an emotional slut. I heard all about his self-confidence issues, his relationship with his mom, his intense patriotism, all his injuries... it went on and on.

What I really hated was that when I was out there dancing, I could feel him watching me. And during the few dances that Faye sat out where I danced, he kept telling her how pretty I was, so he really was watching me. Then his uncle started harassing me about dancing a slow dance with him. I managed to hide in the bathroom during the first one and avoid him during the second, but I couldn't escape the third. He put even more of his heart out there during the dance.

Oh, and how could I forget? He asked me if I knew some song, and I said no, and he got up on stage with the band and sang it for me. (He went on and on about how he knows the owners and works security sometimes and has met all the famous people that do concerts there.) At one point during the song, when he wasn't singing, I saw him talking to the owner (who's also part of the band) and he actually pointed at me. So uncomfortable.

I made the mistake of mentioning that I'm having my birthday there in a few weeks, and he is planning on being there. Since he is a regular there, I'm going to have to discourage him because I know I'll be seeing him again. I did tell him I'm not interested in dating anyone right now, but that wasn't good enough. So I have two plans.

First, I'm going to talk a lot about politics. I mentioned my deep and abiding love for the Dixie Chicks, and he said he liked them until they made that comment about Bush. He apparently loves Toby Keith for his patriotism and says he has a tattoo of an eagle and American flag on his arm. I kind of said that I think you can be patriotic and not love Bush and support the war in Iraq, but I didn't want to start a huge argument. Next time, I will. Maybe I'll even wear my Obama pin.

My other idea is to have my friend Pete act like my boyfriend on my birthday. It wouldn't take much persuasion to get him to slow dance with me and grab my ass on the dance floor. I'm also just hoping that I'll be surrounded by friends on my birthday so I won't have to deal with him.

Why can't guys just take a hint? If I tell someone "I'm not interested in dating right now", that means, "I'm not interested in dating you." There needs to be a book for guys called "She's Just Not That Into You."

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOVE the mentioning of He's Just Not That Into You! And men sometimes do need that extra line of, "seriously, i DON'T like you!".

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…