Skip to main content

Accountability

As we waited in line for an hour and a half to ride Peter Pan's Flight at Disney World, Nancy suggested we make goals for 2009. I thought it seemed a little silly at first, because who actually keeps New Year's resolutions? But I do love to make lists, and I thought it would be good to have some general goals for myself that didn't have to be specific to 2009. So I made a list of 11 things, and I've actually stuck with it. Well, a little bit, anyway.

Last week it occurred to me that my accountability partner and I have not exactly been accountable to each other recently. Or ever, for that matter. Back when our small group had like, 12 girls in it, we were assigned accountability partners. I specifically requested Whitney; I just had this impression that we would be good for each other. I think that truly was God giving me that idea, because I love that girl dearly, and I think out of all the girls in our group, she is the perfect one to be my AP. Anyway, an AP is just like it sounds- someone who holds you accountable. But I think Whitney and I always saw it as we just have each others' backs more than anyone else in the group. We pray for each other and know each other's life stories and talk to each other about faith and life. But we've never really done the accountability thing; I guess because we didn't know what to hold each other accountable to. Recently there's been an issue in my life with people thinking that I'm doing something wrong. But if I don't believe it's wrong, and it's not hurting anyone, what right do they have to tell me that? So it's very hard to do the AP thing if you're not clear on what each other's standards are.

I started thinking that Whitney and I should share lists of goals with each other and try to hold each other accountable. Last night we met and shared lists, and it was nice to see that we had a few things in common. Maybe we can work on those things together.

I'm not going to share all my goals here because they're personal, but some of them fall into 3 categories: faith, fitness, finances. Fitness I have started on. I'm seeing my personal trainer twice a week and I love strength training. Still not a fan of cardio, but maybe that will come with time. Although it's kind of expensive, it's giving me a reason to get my butt to the gym.

In the faith area, I want to start attending a church regularly. I've really had trouble finding a church I like in the city, and once you stop going, it's really hard to get back in the routine. But I miss this, so I'm going to make the effort. Also, when I haven't been to church in a while, I start to feel all gunky inside. Like my soul is all dirty and disgusting. I know I'm a better person when I'm going to church.

Three of my goals were financial. I want to save a certain amount per paycheck, keep a minimum balance in my checking account, and pay off my credit cards. Whitney had this gleam in her eye as she read these goals; I have a feeling I'm going to start getting emails asking what my checking account balance is. She's really good with money.

But oddly enough, I'm looking forward to having someone check up on me (who's not my mom or dad). And I really hope I can do the same for her. I am determined to be a new and improved Erin in 2009.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…