Skip to main content

Birthday Weekend

My birthday is Wednesday, but we have a four day weekend, so I've been celebrating all weekend. Actually, most of the stuff I've done is what I would normally do on a long weekend; the birthday party was the only thing out of the ordinary.

On Friday I went for a facial at University of Aesthetics. Since they're a school, you can get all kinds of spa services for cheap, and they do a great job. Then that night, my brother and I got tattoos. He got his initials the way he signs them on his artwork, and I got a tattoo for my grandma. Some people get commemorative tattoos when someone dies, but I wanted to get something for her while she's still around. It's a cluster of three petunias on the inside of my right ankle. (She used to call me Petunia. Also Emma Lou, which I could never figure out.) Under the petunias it says "Love you to pieces," which is what she always tells me. It's super cute and I'm so in love with it, but I don't want to post a pic because it looks really bad in all the pics I've taken. But Marci at Tatu Tattoo is brilliant. I still have three more tattoos that need to be done, and she's the only one I'll go to from now on.

Saturday morning I got a manicure at Polish in South Loop. It was my first time there, and I highly recommend it. Reasonably priced, and very trendy without being pretentious.

Saturday night was my birthday party! My friend Rachel and I share a birthday, so we shared a birthday party as well. We went to DC's Country Junction in Indiana (of course). The guest list included Nina, Adam, Sarah, Faye, Jim, Lajoya, Everett, Cyndee, Kelly, Kris, Rachel, Anne, Liz, and Stephanie. I'm pretty sure Nina and Adam did not enjoy themselves, given their strong dislike of Indiana and country music. But everyone else at least tried to dance, and it was just so fun to have my friends there who wouldn't normally come. Lajoya is my coworker, and I think she is going to tease me about this place for the remainder of our careers. Oh well. It was perfect. I'll post pics as soon as I can get them from Rachel. I wore this new dress from Anthropologie that was just gorgeous; I had a few random girls compliment me on it.

Sunday was a lazy day where I worked on Bible study stuff and read a book. I was getting kind of bored, so I asked Nancy if she wanted to come out to Violet Hour since we didn't have work today. I love how she almost always says yes. She brought her friend Sarah (who is cool), and Sarah brought two of her friends. Now, I felt bad, and I know it's kind of mean, but I couldn't help being annoyed by these girls immediately. There was just something about them that irritated me. When we got to the bar, I realized that one of them was wearing a leopard print top. And the other one told the waitress she was on a low carb diet and needed a drink that was low carb. Nancy actually overheard one girl say to the other one that they were too white trash for that place. But after Violet Hour we went to Pick Me Up Cafe, and after talking to them, I liked them a little more.

Today I need to run some errands. (My dad used to say that when I was little, and I thought he was saying "Erins," and it used to really confuse me.) Then William is supposed to come over and hang out, then I have strength training, then I'm meeting Whitney for dinner before Bible study. Whitney is my accountability partner, and we realized we haven't exactly been keeping each other accountable for anything. So we made lists of goals, and tonight we're going to discuss them and how we can help each other with them. I'm a little nervous. Last week she asked if any of mine are financial (and of course they are, since I'm notoriously awful with money), and she had this wicked gleam in her eye (because she is really good with money). So I think I'm going to become a better person whether I want to or not.

So I know this post wasn't really exciting, but I promise it really was exciting in real life. Or maybe not exciting, just really fun. I love my life. Sorry if that sounds obnoxious.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It sounds like you had a great birthday weekend. You are truly blessed to have so many great friends.
I am really against tatoos (sorry, but I'm thinking way ahead to when you're 60 or something) but I will say if anything, I like the petunia idea. It's simple but meaningful to you. I loved Andy's sketch, but I would say on a canvas on a wall, not your body.
k

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…