Skip to main content

Happy Father's Day


Happy Father's Day, Dad!

Here are some things I love about you.

1. When I was doing really stupid things in high school, you knew I was lying to you and cared enough to do everything you could to stop me. Unfortunately, I get my stubbornness from you, and I was going to do what I wanted to do.

2. You love me when you understand me, and you love me when you don't understand me. Either one is hard, given our differences in personalities.

3. You love the Cubs so much. Even when they win, you get upset over missed opportunities, saying they could have played better. One time I invited you to a night game, and you said you didn't want to go because you just couldn't get used to the lights at Wrigley... but I think you were joking. Sometimes I can't tell.

4. You tell really great stories about your childhood and our family.

5. You always say, "Goddammit, Erin!"

6. You used to call me Munch.

7. You were really good at your job, but never talked about it (which I wish you would have!). I was so proud to tell people you worked at the E.P.A., saving the world. And you never brought work home with you or worked crazy hours, which I'm beginning to realize is rare.

8. You and Mom sacrificed financial gain so Mom could be a stay-at-home mom.

9. You took us to church every Sunday.

10. You are very logical and a good problem-solver.

11. You don't get caught up in drama. I'm thinking specifically of the drama at our old church, when everyone was freaking out about the pastor, and you refused to get involved in gossip and accusations.

12. You are REALLY funny. I especially love it when you tease Katie at family gatherings. And I love hearing about the silly stuff you did in college.

13. You are soft-hearted, even though you don't usually show it. When I was little, if there was something I really wanted, you'd get it for me. Like that time at Sea World I really wanted that big stuffed turtle. Even now, if there's something I really need, I know you'll help me out.

14. You are patient with Andy and Grandma.

15. You don't put pressure on me to do certain things with my life. A lot of my friends' parents tried to push them into high-paying professions, but you don't have a problem with me teaching. (You did, however, have a problem when I said I was going to Juilliard to be a vocal performance major.) You don't understand why I want to live in the city, but you don't pressure me to move out to the suburbs. You don't lecture me on saving money to buy a condo, or continuously ask when I'm going to get married and have kids.

16. You always apologize after you get angry with me.

17. You have a great singing voice; I always loved hearing you in church.

18. You are awesome at building/fixing things. I'm spoiled now; whoever I marry will be have to good at those things as well.

19. You don't give into the whole "keeping up with the Jones's" thing... you and Mom do what makes you happy. And you wouldn't let me and Andy grow up to be yuppies.

20. You took us on great road trips, even if it did mean putting up with your Songs of the Civil War cd. (That is still so hilarious to me that you listened to that.) Sorry me and Andy were such brats, especially on that D.C. trip.

I love you so much. I'm so glad that God chose you to be my dad.

Comments

Katie said…
If you like how he teases me at family gatherings, you'll love our ghetto handshake when we share the peace at church.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…