Skip to main content

Iowa

I got to spend the weekend in Iowa visiting my college roommate, Paula. She lives in Portland now, but was home visiting her family. She is one of my favorite people in the world, someone I am just totally comfortable being with. Hanging out with her does not require effort.

She knows I have a list of things to do this summer, so we were very busy trying to accomplish things. On Friday night we went to a rodeo, my first one.


I have "Go to a rodeo and make out with a cowboy" on my list. Paula's friend's husband, Adam, was determined to make this happen. He found me three cowboys and introduced me to them. I was fascinated, because they were real cowboys and grew up on ranches. The one in the middle looked really young (but still cute), but I was checking out one of his friends. However, I think both Adam and the young cowboy's friends had the same agenda for us, because they left us alone pretty quickly. I was just enjoying talking to the boy, but he looked scared of me. Afterwards, I realized it was because of the obscene gestures Adam was making behind me. Great. But Paula still managed to get a few pictures of the cowboy before he was scared off.


I know the second one is blurry, but at least you can see the hat. Proof that I am not making this up. I wish he hadn't been too scared to make a move. If we had hung around later, something interesting may have happened, either with him or this other guy I was talking to. But it was getting late, I was a little drunk, and Paula was tired, since she was the sober one.

The next morning we went four-wheeling. It was also my first time doing that. My list says "Go four-wheeling with paintball guns," but I think the paintball guns may have been a little too much for my first time. But I loved it; when I got going really fast, I just screamed with the joy of it.



Then we got ready to go to the Rodeo Days parade in Edgewood. Paula's parents were going to be on a float. Paula did my hair in adorable braids.


The parade was fun, but the best part was just sitting and socializing. I really like Paula's friends Amanda and Adam, and their kids are adorable, too. I also liked the topless guy riding a horse.


After the parade, Paula's parents drove us around Amish country, and I got to go in an Amish lady's house to buy cookies. Then, Saturday night we went to a dueling piano bar in Cedar Falls with some of Rachel's (Paula's sister) friends.

Sunday was spent on Rachel's land. She and her husband purchased some land and are starting to build on it. Paula and Abra (her daughter) and I went out to see it, and Paula found me the perfect tree for climbing so I could check that off my list.


Abra helped by offering words of encouragement and trying to hand me a branch to hold onto. She is hilarious. It cracks me up when she calls Paula "mother."


Then, sadly, it was time to go home. I really did not want to leave. Tonight they were all going out on a boat, and there was a guy Paula wanted me to meet. Oh well, maybe next time. I love Iowa so much, I would seriously consider moving there. If Paula lived there, I really might. I miss that girl so much! It was great to spend a whole weekend with her. I wish it could have lasted longer, but I'm off to Florida tomorrow morning. Time for more adventures in another state.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…