Skip to main content

2nd Annual All-Night Lockout

It sounds fun, doesn't it? It's not. At least, not without Nina. Last year, our adventure took place in Daytona. This year, I was alone.

At 11:00, I stepped outside to call Sarah because my phone often drops calls in my apartment. I locked myself out. At first, it was no big deal because Sarah has a spare. I felt bad about inconveniencing her, but that was it. Well, her key didn't work. So we went to Nina's to get her spare, and that one didn't work either. They were both like, "Didn't you try out the keys after you had them made???" This never even occurred to me. Seriously, sometimes I wonder how I manage to function at all in the adult world.

So then I decided to call a locksmith. It would be expensive, but I desperately wanted a shower. And my allergy medicine. And my latest Sookie Stackhouse novel. And most of all, my own bed. The dispatcher said she'd send someone right away, so I insisted that Sarah leave me. At this point, it was 1:00 and she had to be up early for work. She left reluctantly, ordering me to take a cab to her place if no one had shown up within an hour. After an hour, I called the place back, and the dispatcher apologized profusely, saying someone was coming. At 2:30 I called again with the same result. After another similar phone call at 3:00, I decided to find another locksmith. I probably wouldv'e done it earlier, but of course my phone was about to die, and I didn't want to waste the battery looking for other guys when one was supposedly coming. Also, I figured at the worst, I could sleep in my car and wait for my landlord to get up and let me in. Luckily, the other locksmith showed up around 3:45. $180 and 2 minutes later, I was back in my place.

Those three and a half hours were awful. I learned that there are some very creepy men who walk around my neighborhood late at night. There were lots of bugs, and it was really hot and humid. But I was thankful for several things:

1. I had the money to pay the locksmith.
2. I was wearing a bra. (I had on my pajama top and capris and almost didn't wear a bra.)
3. I had reading material. My awesome friend Anne gave me a box of romance novels as a gift for singing at her wedding. (More on that later.) Thank goodness I'd left it in my car. I read an entire Harlequin while waiting.
4. It was a warm night.
5. I didn't have to pee.

It could have been worse. But it still seriously sucked. FML.

Comments

RJTrue said…
I would have LOVED to keep you company - time would have FLOWN by with all the catching up of the last ... oh, 6 years!

Miss you!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…