Skip to main content

Florida

I just realized I haven't written about Florida yet! It was the perfect vacation. I would wake up around 10 and go right to the beach. On the way home, I'd stop at Sonic for a half-price cherry limeade. Then I'd go home, shower, hang out for a while and read or watch stupid shows on TV (which I never have time for), then head over to my uncle's for dinner. I always eat so well when I'm in Florida. I discovered that I like rhubarb pie, at least the way my Uncle Joel makes it. One night I offered to make my grandma's recipe for lemon pie for dessert, and my offer was met with complete silence. They had no faith in my kitchen skillz. Luckily, the pie turned out all right. We watched several movies together, too- Ghostbusters, Little Miss Sunshine, Fly Away Home, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I really enjoy the time I get to spend with my family in Florida.

I also spent a lot of time with my kind-of cousin Amber. (I'm not really sure how we're related, but it's a relationship I'm happy to claim.) One night I went with her to play darts with the league she's in. She introduced me to her friend Mark, who was kinda cute. After darts we went out to a bar, but Amber was tired and left early. Mark and I stayed until the bar closed, and then he gave me a ride back to Amber's. The fun part was that he had a motorcycle! I was always terrified of motorcycles, and had been on one once and swore I'd never do it again, but I must have had just the right amount of alcohol, because I loved it. When we got to Amber's, I asked him to drive around more. It was amazing and now I want to do it all the time.

Another interesting night was the night we went to Razzle's, a club in Daytona. I don't usually dance, but I shook my ass for hours that night. It was just the perfect combination of alcohol and good music. I realized Amber is a great person to go out with, because she's really pretty and gets hit on a lot, so I got hit on too because I was with her. My Uncle Joel thinks she looks like a young Debra Messing, and I agree.


So we had a blast dancing and talking to boys, but for some reason I decided to be stupid and text Brian, the guy I went out with in March who said he was now divorced. When he never called, Sarah insisted that he was still married. I didn't believe her. He said he was divorced, and I believed him. Well, I sent him an inappropriate text, and his wife replied. Of course, she was rude, but I told her I was so so sorry and that he said he was divorced and I would never intentionally get involved with a married man. (Which is true.) So she said it looked like he'd been lying to both of us and asked how long I'd been seeing him. I briefly told her our history, and that was the end of the conversation. Then Brian texted me the next morning and asked me not to communicate with his wife. I told him that wouldn't be a problem because I wasn't planning on communicating with either of them again. I feel so awful for her. I'm sure he's been seeing other girls, too; I couldn't have been the only one. So Sarah was right. I don't know how she figured that out. I figured he either wasn't that into me, or he wasn't interested because I wouldn't put out on our date.

Anyway, 4th of July in Florida was lovely. Here's a pic of Amber's son Stephen eating a cupcake I brought him.


We hung out at Amber's pool for most of the day, then went to the beach to see fireworks. It was lovely.


I really wish I had more pics from this trip, but I wasn't even thinking about it at the time. My hair looked really bad the whole time, anyway. You know that episode of Friends where Monica's in the Caribbean and her hair is huge and frizzy? That's what happens to me in Florida.

I did take a picture of these guys, though. I couldn't believe there were armadillos in my grandma's yard! Not the kind of wildlife you usually see in Illinois.


(Okay, I have another picture that is better that shows all three of them, but for some reason it keeps posting upside down. I'll have to figure that out later.)

So, it was the perfect vacation. I partied, rode on a motorcycle, read 9 books (6 of the Sookie Stackhouse books and 3 romance novels), spent time with family, and worked on my tan. I didn't want to come home!

Comments

Unknown said…
Yeah we are kind-of cousins. lol :) Your mom's brother is married to my dad's sister. Which makes us cousins somehow by marriage. :) lol Who knows. Who cares! :) hehe I had a blast with you too! I can't wait until next time you come down! Maybe next time you can plan on staying over night at my house and we'll go to a comedy club in St. Augustine and do some beach bar stuff up there. It's an awesome place! :) LOVE YA!!!!!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…