Skip to main content

Memphis

Nancy and I went to Memphis several weeks ago and had a fabulous time.

On Thursday night, we went out on Beale Street, ready to party.


Unfortunately, it was all college kids. Some of them even looked younger than that. And the whole scene just seemed kind of lame- go get a cup of beer and stand on the street drinking it. Not very exciting. After one drink, we decided we were too old for this scene and would have more fun at the TGI Fridays in our hotel lobby. (This is so embarrassing to admit; the only reason I'm doing so is because it's important to the rest of the story.)

So we're drinking margaritas and Nancy comments that the waiter seems into me. We ask him how old he is, and he's only 22. But I think, hmm, the whole Mrs. Robinson thing could be fun. (I'm pretty drunk at this point.) At the end of the evening, he tells me he'll be working room service the next night, and I should order a drink if I want to hang out. Perfect.

The next morning we went to Graceland, which I really wish I had pictures of, but I forgot my camera in my car. It was so hilariously tacky. The 70's were a very unfortunate time for decorating, and this was extreme 70's decor. What really cracked me up was Elvis's motto: TCB with a lightning bolt. (There was one room that was navy blue and had that painted in yellow on the walls.) The audio tour went on and on about what a nice guy Elvis was, but with a motto like "Taking care of business," he had to have been a douche. I also thought it was funny that the graves were so close to the swimming pool. Just complete tackiness.

Nancy and I then headed to the nearest Sonic, where we realized you can combine different flavors in your milkshake. She had chocolate strawberry and I had chocolate peanut butter. Heavenly. This was followed by several hours of hardcore shopping at Dillards.

(This is Nancy about to lick the straw that had just been up her nose.)

We decided to give Beale Street another chance that night and headed to B.B. King's Blues Club. It was everything we'd been hoping for. We feasted on fried green tomatoes, mac 'n' cheese, hush puppies, and strawberry shortcake. The band was great, although towards the end they weren't playing blues anymore.


Then we headed back to our hotel, and it was time to put my Mrs. Robinson make-out plan into action. Nancy hung out in the lobby while I ordered a margarita. The boy brought it, then sat and watched CNN with me for a while and didn't make a move despite my flirting. I realized that the whole Mrs. Robinson thing is really not that exciting; this was a boy, not a man. A man would've made a move. A man would've realized that if a girl invites you up to her hotel room, it's not to watch CNN. Finally, I texted Nancy and told her to come back. The boy gave me a hug and asked for my number, which I reluctantly gave only because he wasn't on Facebook. He informed me that he'd be in Chicago in September. A few minutes after he left, he starts texting and saying how attractive I am, blah blah blah. I was like, "You should've made a move." He was all mad at himself, and I was like, "Coulda woulda shoulda." Hopefully he learned something that will help him in the future. But the story doesn't end there. He was like, "I'll be in Chicago in September, and until then, there's always texting." What did he think this was, the beginning of a relationship??? At first I responded to some of his texts because Nancy told me I had to be nice, but I stopped after a few days. It was non-stop texting, and I was trying to write a paper. Also, I didn't want to lead him on. Seriously, what did he think was going to come of this? So annoying. I haven't heard from him in like, a week, but I'm guessing I'll probably hear from him in September. Ugh.

On the way home on Saturday, we stopped in Carbondale to go hiking at Garden of the Gods. I forgot how far off the highway it was (like 50 miles), and I think Nancy was ready to stab me. All that driving for a half hour of hiking in terrible heat and humidity. I didn't realize until we got there that Nancy is not a huge fan of nature, so it was not worth it to her. I felt really bad. But it was beautiful. I love the view; it's hard to believe you're in Illinois.




After our hike we had a delicious dinner at Quatro's, one of my favorite pizza places. Then we had the long drive home, during with the rest area hilarity occurred.

So, Memphis was lots of fun. However, I would not recommend it as a destination city. It's definitely a good place to stop if you're passing through, but two nights and one full day there was plenty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…