Skip to main content

Chosen, Adopted, and Named

When I went to see Donald Miller at Willow Creek last week, we sang a song called “Changed.” I’ve been thinking about the words to this song all week. I listen to it on my way to and from work every day. Here is a video of the worship team at Willow singing it about a year ago:



One of the lines that really jumped out to me is “In Jesus’ name… we are chosen, adopted, and named.” Since I’ve been feeling like God is totally indifferent to me, this line was pretty profound. I thought about what it’s like to be adopted and how glad I am that being God’s daughter is part of my identity.

Another part I love is the chorus:
I have been blessed, now I want to be a blessing
I have been loved, now I want to bring love
I’ve been invited, I want to share the invitation
I have been changed to bring change

I love the theology this writing comes out of, all the stuff about how faith without works is dead. If we truly have faith in what Christ did for us, then we are changed, and we should use that joy and love to bring about change in the world. I’ve been wondering what I’ve really been doing to bring change, and I know I need to do more. A great opportunity has presented itself in CASA of Cook County. I want to volunteer to be a court appointed special advocate. You are assigned one foster child who you visit once a month and just make sure they’re okay. When they have court dates coming up, you write a report about how they’re being treated. You’ve got their back. It sounds so easy, but like something that could make a big difference. So, I don’t know how much I’ve been changed, but I’m definitely trying to bring change.

Other favorite lines include:
“Help us to worship more than singing, giving redemption hands and feet”
"We have been found, we're gonna turn over every stone"
“We’ve been empowered to love the world to heaven”

The guy who wrote this is from Rob Bell’s church, Mars Hill. I’m not surprised. I've seriously thought about moving there just so I could go to that church.

Here's another version of the video that's a little more interesting to watch, but I don't like the arrangement as much:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…