Skip to main content

My Favorite Parts of Today

1. One of my students read a book. It is the first book he's ever read. It's called Eddie and the Jets, and his name is Eddie. I wanted to jump up and down and hug him, but I played it cool and just let him know how proud I was. Then we went on Amazon and looked for some other books he might like to read. I love this kid.

2. One of my quietest students gave me a bracelet for Christmas. His special ed. teacher told me he made it for me, and I never would've guessed; it's really cute! So sweet.

3. My friend Meeghan gave me the movie Once for Christmas. Can't wait to watch it!

4. My friend Jenn, the other 8th grade reading teacher, made me this creation from marshmallows and jelly beans.



5. I gave Pie in a Jar to my team, and it was hilarious. When I handed out the jars, my explanation was met with blank stares. (Keep in mind there are three boys on my team.) When I explained again, this time more slowly, the confusion turned to awe. "You mean you just put it in the over?" "You don't have to take it out of the jar?" When they finally understood, they were really excited. The gift was a hit!

6. During 5th hour, some of our kids participated in a Turkey Trot. This meant they ran as many laps as they could in 15 minutes, and for each lap they ran they got a raffle ticket. Jordan, who endeared himself to me when he gave a speech about how "No, David" was his favorite book because he connected to that character, was prepared to run- he had basketball shorts on under his pants. As he ran by, I noticed he had ear buds in. I don't know why, it just cracked me up that he was so serious about this run.

7. Our whole team (of teachers) ate lunch together today. I really love my coworkers. Jenn says our team works so well because we're all "drinking the Kool-Aid." We all care about the kids, and they come first.

8. We kept our 6th hour classes for the whole afternoon, and I showed The Princess Bride. They loved it. This made me love them even more.




9. I stayed after school for a long time talking to my coworker, Lanette. She's just a really wonderful woman. We watched this video from The Daily Show (which everyone needs to see!!!!) and talked about what's wrong with our country.


10. I had Chipotle for dinner.

11. I am currently watching the NFL Network. I love how they analyze plays; I'm learning a lot.

12. I found out Nina and Stephanie are coming to visit in January. We may go to Joshua Tree!

Okay, this didn't actually happen today, but I wore my new bow from Darlybird the other day, and it made me really happy.



Upcoming fun: Tomorrow Rachel and I are going to Smeeks (a really cute candy store) to get a gift for her husband. I will spend the rest of the day crafting. (Lots of gifts to finish!) I have a date tomorrow night. Sunday will be filled with an exciting day of football, and of course, my super awesome amazing I-actually-look-forward-to-going-every-Sunday church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…