Skip to main content

Small Group

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my small group out here? Somehow I managed to stumble upon a group of liberal Christian women. The cool thing is that our leader, Amanda, is my age, but the other 4 women are all in their 40's and 50's, which means they are wise and there's so much to learn from them.

Three weeks ago, we challenged ourselves to set aside time each day for God. At least 15 minutes. And I'll admit, I really suck at praying. It sounds terrible, I know, and maybe I'll write more about it another time, but for now, it is what it is.

But I've really enjoyed my time each day. I have a journal where I write down three things I am thankful for each night. They range from trivial (Bears win over the Eagles, Ryan's drunk texts) to significant (meaningful conversations, connecting with students).

In addition to the journal, I've gotten back to reading my Bible every night. I'm currently struggling through Isaiah. I'm sorry, I know it's some people's favorite book of the Bible, but parts of it are SO boring. I'm really not looking forward to reading Chapter 39 tonight, which is titled "Hezekiah's Illness." I also usually read another book in addition to this. I'm currently reading "Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God" (which my friend gave me, and I'm finding myself disagreeing with a lot), "Prodigal God" (our small group book), and "The Naked Anabaptist" (trying to learn more about the Mennonites). Sometimes I listen to my favorite worship songs, too.

I really look forward to my time every evening. And tonight, Ellen (one of the super cool ladies in small group) said something that really stuck with me. When talking about the story of the prodigal son, and how the father runs out to meet his son, she thinks about God doing the same for us. She imagines God looking forward to the time they spend together each day, just like we look forward to a friend coming over. She even imagines that God would start boiling the water to make her some tea. Isn't this a great visual? We can all relate to looking forward to a friend coming over, and preparing things for them because we're so excited to see them. I had never thought about God feeling the same way about me. From now on, this is what I'll be picturing during the day... "Okay God, we're still on for tonight, right? Like around 10? I've got lots of stuff to talk to you about. I can't wait to tell you about my day..." And when I get to this part of the day, God will bust out the hot chocolate and cookies, pull up a chair, and we'll hang out together.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm ahead of you on something! (That never happens) I can't fall asleep until I've said my "Now I lay me down to sleep, Guide me through the starry night, Wake me when the sun shines bright. God bless..." Then it's my time to stop and think about my day or whatever's bothering me, and remind myself to be thankful for what I have. But seriously, I have never been able to fall asleep until I've said it, since probably early teens. Even completely toasted and can't remember what line I'm on and have to keep starting over - Even then still do it. Just takes longer. It's like my nightly Xanax. K

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…