Skip to main content

Socially Awkward

I'm awkward in social situations. Seriously. I do okay one-on-one, but put me in a bigger group, and I'm a mess. Thankfully, there's usually alcohol in group situations, which saves me. But it would be nice to have a coping mechanism for situations where it is not appropriate to be drunk. Like baby showers. Baby showers are my worst nightmare.

I had two parties to go to Saturday night, which for most people, would just be fun. I was excited until Saturday morning, when I started thinking about the fact that I'd be going alone and that I wouldn't know most of the people at the parties. It sucks when you only know the host because she's going to be busy taking care of things and talking to everyone. I felt somewhat reassured after Amanda told me it would be a very small group at her house, and Mico reminded me that the advantage to going alone is that you can leave whenever you want. However, I was still nervous.

Luckily, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Amanda did have just a small group of people, and everyone was really nice and funny. The only embarrassing part of the evening was when I confused Lenin with Lennon during a game of Apples to Apples. (The word was Patriotic, and I put down Lenin's tomb, thinking, "Everybody loves the Beatles!") But I had a really great time.

Jenna's house was fun, too, but thank God I'd had a few drinks before getting there. Her friend had brought this game called Quelf, whose creators were obviously high when they came up with it. This game was a social anxiety nightmare. The first card I drew asked me to beatbox. Never have I ever even attempted to beatbox. (Ooh, I should remember that. It might be useful during a game of "Never Have I Ever." I think it may be one of the few things I haven't done.) Well, I just wasn't drunk enough to do it. I did, however, really enjoy everyone else's silliness. And it was great to meet more people from church. Everyone was super nice. So once again, although we played a game out of my worst nightmares, I had a really great time.

The evening ended with a drunk texting conversation with Ryan. I woke up in the morning and found my phone underneath me in bed. I realized I'd passed out in the middle of our conversation. I refused to feel too guilty about it, however, considering the last text from him said, "Ooo," and the one before that said, "Nope. Dobrvwsbt."

Anyway, I think I did all right on Saturday, considering my social handicap.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hahaha! Next time you're over and my house I'll be sure to have a few shots ready for you as you walk in the door so you feel less stressed... and more able to beatbox.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…