Skip to main content

Columbus Day Craziness: Day 2

Kristin and I were up bright and early Sunday morning, eager to check out this "slot canyon" in Missouri. The hike was beautiful! Very similar to Garden of the Gods in southern Illinois (the same ocean covered this whole area). So, familiar to me, but new terrain for Kristin. It made me happy that she got to have some new experiences in the Midwest. She commented that she particularly enjoyed the sound of the wind in the leaves.















After treating the hike like our own personal playground, we headed to Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park. Honestly, I was kind of skeptical about this place. The pictures on the website looked like rocks in a river. Not too exciting. But it was so much more.






It was volcanic rock formations that you could play on. They'd created all these little pools and waterfalls. It all culminated in what looked like a bottomless pool. The water was crystal clear, but you still couldn't see the bottom. We stopped to relax on some rocks and watch a guy and his girlfriend rappel down one of the cliffs.

(Upon reaching the bottom, he immediately lit a cigarette and called up to his girlfriend to bring some beer down with her. Kristin truly got a taste of the South.) As I took in this beautiful, serene moment, I looked longingly at the water and said, "I wish I could just jump in."



"Yeah, me too," said Kristin. She paused. "Wait a minute... you're actually serious."




And it was fantastic.


Kristin was then inspired to swim all the way across the pool.







We did not want to leave. It was so amazing to be swimming in this beautiful water with the leaves all changing colors.


But when we finally tore ourselves away, the drive to Meramec State Park was especially enjoyable. We talked about how we are more than friends, we are battle buddies. We have been in tough situations, and I know there's no one else I'd trust as much to have my back.


When we arrived at Meramec State Park, and the moment of truth was upon us: I was going to camp.

I loved it! I mean, not every part. I don't enjoy the long walk to the bathroom, and the gross showers. But I was totally on board with everything else- hanging out, making s'mores, and sleeping in the back of my beloved Subaru. My bed was really comfortable! I can definitely do camping in the future.

Comments

Kristin said…
I'm so glad that you found a way to enjoy camping. More camping will be in our future as well. I can't wait for more adventures to get ourselves in Battle Buddy.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…