Skip to main content

Love.

Last week, I decided to trade in my beloved Saturn for a new Subaru.


My Saturn was just a 2007, but there were already 122,000 miles on it. I realized that car has literally been with me from sea to shining sea, from Daytona Beach to Laguna Beach. It took me to Phoenix and brought me home again. As I cleaned it out, I found brochures from Canyonlands National Park, Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument, a sticker from the Ocoee River in Georgia that I rafted a few years ago, and parking passes from Sedona and the North Woods. That car has taken me to amazing places.


It was also difficult to not buy another Saturn. I've loved Saturns since the one my parents let me drive in high school, an ugly gold car named Simon. I put a bumper sticker on it that said "Eat people, not animals" and took that car all kinds of crazy places. Seriously I can't figure out how my parents never caught me lying when I said I was sleeping over at Nina's and went to a rave in Madison instead.


But it was time for a change. My Saturn could no longer meet my outdoorsy needs. And, since Saturns are no longer being made, I was told to ditch it as soon as possible because parts would be really expensive.

Last week, I went to test drive a Subaru Forester with no intention of buying anything. I drove my new Forester home that night.


My new car is such a badass. I can sleep in the back of it and take it on crazy primitive roads. I now understand why Subaru's tagline is "Love."


Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad you found a vehicle you love so much! Maybe it can roadtrip you back to Phoenix. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…