Skip to main content

Christmas

Christmas this year was less than awesome. My brother chose not to participate. The ugly fight that occurred while we were opening gifts on Christmas Eve was actually captured on video. Andy did not join us for church or opening gifts afterwards and did not show up for Christmas Day at my aunt's house, either. Not going to go into detail here, but I'm so disgusted with him. And then my dad gets mad at me for not being more understanding of my brother's issues. And everyone's trying to pretend everything's fine, but my dad has this awful depressed look on his face and it's all just so fake. On top of that, my grandma was doing her best impression of Aunt Bethany from Christmas Vacation ("Are we at the airport?... Is Rusty still in the Navy?") and didn't seem to know where she was or what day it was. We were just glad she didn't have a cat to wrap up and bring as a gift.
There were a few good things about this holiday. I had breakfast on Christmas Eve with some of my favorite girls. That was definitely one of the best things about this year- reconnecting with this group of friends.

Church was absolutely beautiful. Here are Jen and I posing before church started:



The pastor gave a wonderful sermon, and they had a full orchestra accompanying all the songs. We got to sing lots of Christmas songs, and the service concluded with the singing of the Hallelujah Chorus. There was just one problem. People would not. shut. up. I couldn't believe the audacity. Two teenage boys sitting in front of us were doing their best Beavis and Butthead impression and snickered through the whole service. I thought their mom might stop it, but she was too busy engaging in noisy conversations with her daughter. Seriously, people weren't even whispering! I don't care if there's an orchestra playing; people can still hear you talking! It was especially disrespectful to the soloists. And the conversation wasn't just during the music; it was even during the sermon, prayers, and scripture readings! I looked around at one point during the sermon and saw not just the family ahead of me having a conversation, but an entire row of teen girls talking and giggling in the next section over, a couple behind them talking, and a family behind them talking. It was ridiculous. Why even bother going to church? If you're just going because it's Christmas and you feel obligated, stay home. Not the right reason to go to church. Perhaps that's unChristian of me, but church isn't supposed to be an obligation. I was actually trying to get something out of the service, and it was really hard to concentrate on the implications of the miracle birth of Jesus when all I wanted to do was punch someone in the face.

Apparently I was not the only one feeling this way. At the start of the Hallelujah Chorus, both my mom and Jen (seated on either side of me) were like, "Let 'em have it," implying that I could get revenge by inflicting my voice upon them. Not sure exactly what that was supposed to mean. I tried to sing on the quiet side of normal, but was told afterwards that I was really loud. Woops. Anyway, at the end of the service, I waited till the lady in front of us was within earshot, then started a loud conversation with Jen about how hard it was to enjoy church when people were talking so much during the service. "I mean, I couldn't even concentrate! The constant chatter just ruined everything!" Jen caught on quickly. "I know!" she replied. "People need to learn some manners! If you want to just talk throughout the whole service, don't even bother coming!" The lady had a strange look on her face, so I know she heard us. Plus I think I may have actually been glaring at her during this exchange. I know it was snarky and unkind, but seriously, these people were so obnoxious. I mean, I was so distracted that, at communion, I popped the wafer in my mouth without waiting to dip it in the wine. So now I'm probably only half forgiven.

Anyway, after church it was time to exchange gifts. My mom had this beautiful opal ring made for me. She was so excited about it; I've been hearing about it for months.

My mom asked my uncle for white thread for Christmas. Being the creative person that he is, he threw in one spool of black thread, taking the gift to a new level.

I received some other really nice gifts as well. Jen crocheted a beautiful scarf for me. My uncle got me the new David Sedaris book. Jacob got me a $100 gift card to REI (woo hoo! that means neoprene socks and a life jacket!). And I opened a box from my dad to find this:




My dad found a great deal on a nice tv several months ago, and since I gave mine away when I left Phoenix, he got it for me under the condition I would pay him back. The post-it cracked me up, as well as the fact that he actually took time to carefully cut out the tv and mount it on cardboard.

Whitney got me this adorable ring:

And Kristin got me an Arizona hiking calendar. Such nice, thoughtful gifts.

I will end this post with something that I thought was absolutely ridiculous. On Christmas day, my cousin showed me this picture:

Yes, my uncle actually took his beloved boxer, Jack, to see Santa. And put him in antlers.


Merry Christmas.

Comments

Katie said…
I couldn't believe that dad actually took Jack to see Santa. It took me like.. a full ten minutes to process the fact that my mom wasn't joking. It's so hilarious how proud he looks.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…