Skip to main content

Making Plans

What a difference a few weeks makes...

Work is not awesome. But neither does it suck. I've been really busy, and it's amazing how good that makes me feel. 10 hour days are good for me. I don't know why, but I like having a million things to do at work, especially because I feel like the work I'm doing is a good thing. A lot of my students are making good progress. The ones who aren't are making me crazy, but that just makes me work harder.

I found an apartment. A huge one-bedroom with a dining room (perfect for entertaining), a sun room, and a view of the park. The floors are dark, so I'm going to need rugs. The thought of decorating has me really excited. I think I'm going to get a big dining room table from Ikea, and then collect vintage mismatched chairs for it. And I'm thinking about getting this Banksy picture for my living room:



The thing I'm most excited about is entertaining again. I haven't hosted an event in years. My apartment in Pilsen was too small, and I never got fully settled in my Phoenix apartment. But I love playing hostess! I bought a griddle on Black Friday, so I think my first event will be a brunch with a wide assortment of pancakes! Red velvet, chocolate chip, pumpkin, blueberry... And of course, the best part of brunch- beaucoup de mimosas. I'll make some baked goodies, too, and hash browns because those are good when you're hungover. I'll wear my apron with the cherries on it and a cute headband, and the background music will be Ella Fitzgerald. I can't wait!!

Another thing making me happy is singing. Oh, how I love to sing. I can't believe this has been missing from my life for so long. I'm singing with my friend's church choir for their Christmas concert next Sunday, and I have multiple solos! I was so nervous about this at first, but it's so comfortable and familiar. The text and music look all intimidating, and then I open my mouth and the Latin just falls out. It's like an old friend, like hanging out with Rachel or Liz or Paula. It gives me so much joy and just feels right. There's something about music by Bach and Praetorious that's just satisfying on a deep level.

Besides all this other great stuff, I have trips to look forward to. I'm going to Vegas for my 30th, and 9 of my closest friends are coming with me! It's almost too good to be true! The best part is that Vegas has slot canyons nearby, so this is turning into a canyoneering trip. I cannot imagine anything happier than exploring a canyon with so many of my favorite people. I think I may just burst into happy tears if it actually happens.

And not only is there Vegas, but this summer I am planning an even more epic road trip than last year's. I really, really hope it works out. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be gone for almost two months! The idea of driving across the country in my Subaru and hiking at national parks sounds like heaven on Earth to me.

I have so much to look forward to. I have so much hope for the good things to come.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i hope i am invited to your pancake extravaganza!

mostly for the ella fitzgerald. and the mimosas.

and the company of course! :)

p.s. congrats on finding a place!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…