Skip to main content

JD McPherson

You know how most of the time, when you picture how something's going to be, it usually doesn't turn out that way? Last night was actually just the way I pictured it. It was the perfect night with one of my best friends.

Nina and I started out with dinner at Uncommon Ground, where there was a lot of giggling and secrets exchanged.

Then we headed over to the Metro for the JD Mcpherson show. Nina got me tickets for my birthday. The crowd was very cool- lots of guys copying the JD hairstyle, or dressed as greasers in leather jackets, and the girls were all dressed like they were from the 1940's- adorable dresses and curls and bright red lipstick.

We got there right before JD went on and we each ordered a glass of Maker's Mark. The bartender was VERY generous with his pours. We found a great spot to watch the show, and JD opened with "Firebug." I wasn't prepared to do my choreography so early in the show! (I made up a little dance to go with part of the song. I showed it to Nina over dinner and her reaction was, "Wow... That's, um, a lot of jazz hands...") By the end of the second or third song, my drink was gone.

Nina was shocked.

"This is bad news," she said.

"I'm fine!"

"Yeah, because it hasn't hit you yet! This is going to be like the time we were driving to Kentucky, and I passed the bottle of bourbon back to Stephanie, and it came back mostly empty... You're gonna be puking in the backseat of your car by the end of the night!"

"I told you I came here to drink and dance," I replied. "I showed up. Get on my level, Nina!"

But I was fine. It was the perfect amount of alcohol- I felt like dancing but wasn't out of control.

So we danced and danced. Nina and I totally boogied the whole time, just the way I'd imagined we would. Nina apologized, saying that her repertoire of dance moves for this genre consisted entirely of what she's seen in Pulp Fiction. The crowd especially rocked out to "North Side Gal," which is on my running playlist. The keyboard player and bass player were AMAZING. Seriously, I don't think that band would be famous without them.

I asked Nina what she thought about it over cheese fries after the show. She'd never even heard of him and hadn't had time to listen to his music before the show.

"It was so fun!" she said. "I didn't know I was going to a sock hop! I would've worn my poodle skirt!"

Sock hop was the right word for it. Just SO much fun!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…