Skip to main content

Trip. Planned.

Today I was inspired to plan this summer's trip. I am surprised by how quickly and easily I figured it out. I am quite pleased with the end result and can't wait to get on the road.

My newly acquired "Passport to the National Parks" was a huge help in planning this trip. Bernie and I were Facetiming yesterday, and I used this time to show off my new favorite thing. (I think he was disappointed that this was all I showed off.) The booklet has a list of all the national parks, historic sites, monuments, battlefields, etc. And at each site, you can get a stamp or sticker in your book. I have my friend Kestelle to thank for this new hobby... She is on a mission to collect all 403 stamps and the process is actually changing her life.

I plan on collecting 27 stamps on this summer's trip. Here's the basic outline:

- Run the Thelma and Louise Half Marathon in Moab, Utah on June 2.

- Travel up through northern Utah and see Timpanagos Cave National Monument and Golden Spike National Historic Site (the place where the transcontinental railroad was connected)

- Visit four out of the five national sites in Idaho, including Craters of the Moon NM and a Japanese internment camp

-Swing by Stanley, Idaho, where Bernie used to spend his summers as a whitewater rafting river guide

-Head towards Glacier National Park with stops at Big Hole National Battlefield and the Grant-Kohrs Ranch

-Spend at least a week at Glacier

-Start heading south with a stop at the Whitman Mission NHS in Walla Walla (It's not so much the attraction that intrigues me; I just want to be able to say that I've been to Walla Walla)

-Crater Lake

-Redwoods

-Hang out with Aunt Deborah in Sacramento for a weekend

-Two weeks at Yosemite (Bernie wants to big wall climb and live at Camp Four, so he can go climb while I just hike hike hike)

-Hang out with Cousin Beth in San Francisco for a weekend (Lots of historic sites there, including Rosie the Riveter NHP; I also really want to go to Alcatraz)

-Two weeks at King's Canyon and Sequoia National Parks

-Arrive in Phoenix two days before I start work

I am pretty excited. I hope Bernie is, too! The only part that makes me nervous is the Half Marathon at the beginning!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…