Skip to main content

Leaving Phoenix

So, I never wrote about what it was like to move away from Phoenix. I've been thinking about it a lot now that I'm preparing for another move.

Thank God for Nancy f-ing Novak.

She flew out to meet me in Phoenix. Amanda and I met her at the airport. (Amanda and I wanted to spend as much time together as possible, and I knew she and Nancy would be instant BFF's. they totally were.) We grabbed brunch at one of my favorite Phoenix restaurants, then drove out on the Apache Trail so Nancy could experience the open desert. (Funny- I used to freak out about driving on that road and usually turned around after the pavement ended. Now I know that that's when things get good- there are lots of canyons off that road.)




I don't remember everything else we did while  Nancy was there. I know she temporarily gave up her vegetarian status to experience an In 'n' Out burger, and we went swimming at Mico's parents' house while they were out of town. I also took her to New Orleans Snoball, which has over 50 flavors of snocones. They seriously make shaved ice an art.



The night before I left, Amanda threw me a going away party at St. Francis. It was beautiful and bittersweet. There were around 25 people there, and I realized I hadn't known most of these people a year ago. Carmen seemed to know I needed some love and cuddled with me for a long time.
 

(Kristin, Jenna + Finn in her belly, and Amanda- three amazing friends I met in Phoenix)
 


 
 (Mico)
 
 


(Me and Carmelita)

After dinner, we went to my favorite bar, the Rose and Crown. There aren't a lot of old buildings in Phoenix, so I like this bar because it's in a really old house and there are picnic tables on the front lawn so you feel like you're at a house party.

We didn't get too crazy, however, because I was scheduled to sing with the worship band at church the next morning. The plan was to sing at church and then leave Phoenix.

Ha.

Haha.

Like things in my life ever go according to plan.

We still had to go back to my apartment after church and do some last minute packing. You know, all those odds and ends you think will just take a few minutes to pack, but actually require like 20 more trips to the car. In 110 degree heat.

And then, everything went terribly wrong- I lost my car key. I'd taken it off the key ring for some unfathomable reason, and it disappeared.

We tore apart my car and apartment. No luck.

We called a locksmith and waited for over an hour in my hot apartment.

When he showed up, he had all sorts of trouble replicating the key.

Finally, he handed us a key, and we got in my car and waited for him to pull away so I could pull out.

He wasn't moving.

We got out of the car to see what the hold up was. The locksmith was standing outside of his truck; he'd locked his keys inside.

He made some calls. No one was available to come help. Finally, he resorted to knocking on random people's doors to see if they had a wire hanger.

This is what finally worked, and we pulled out of the parking lot around 7:30 p.m.

We stopped by Rachel and Mico's house to drop off one last thing. True Blood was about to start (Rachel and I used to watch that every Sunday), and leaving her house was one of the hardest moments of my life. Thank goodness for Nancy being there.

We now had a road trip to look forward to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…