Skip to main content

Road Trip With Nancy: Moab

Our first day of travel took us through Monument Valley to Moab, UT. I must confess, I wanted to kill Nancy because she was texting with her ex and I knew they were going to get back together. And she knew I was annoyed, which made things awkward. But we pushed through this and managed to enjoy the beauty of Moab. We spent one day driving through Arches and Canyonlands. I pointed out the 8 mile trail I wanted to hike at Canyonlands, and it was Nancy's turn to look like she wanted to stab me. It was pretty hot that day.

 (An... interesting rock formation at Arches)
 

(Balance Rock at Arches)

 
We wanted an adventure for the next day. Moab Adventure Center is a really great place if you don't have technical skills but want to experience something awesome. I wanted to sign up for their canyoneering experience, but Nancy refused to do anything that involved rappelling.  We compromised on whitewater rafting on the Colorado River.
 
The funny thing was, I was absolutely terrified to do this after my previous experience. We chose one of the more tame routes, but I still was fighting panic during the beginning of the trip. But when we hit the first big rapid, I remembered why I love this. I had this huge grin on my face and was all "What's next? Bring it on!" and the guide was like, "Well, that was kinda the highlight of this particular trip..." And the rest of the trip was mainly floating down the river and having water fights with the other rafts. But it was still fun and got me over my fear (somewhat). And I have to give Nancy credit for not only going with me, but WANTING to do this.
 
That night, after having dinner at the brewery, we stopped at Back of Beyond Books. I LOVE independent book shops, and to find one that specialized in outdoors books was like heaven.

I asked the salesgirl for books about canyons. She pointed out the Michael Kelsey books and said they were popular. I was smart enough at least to choose his non-technical guide to the Colorado Plateau, but I did actually ask the sales girl where exactly the Colorado plateau was located. ("Does it include Moab? Are we, like, on it right now?")
 

I had stumbled upon what is considered to be one of the canyoneering Bibles. Michael Kelsey has spent most of his life traveling Utah and writing about it. He has done some absolutely insane stuff and published beta for hundreds of canyons. At the beginning of 127 Hours, they show Aron Ralston making copies from a Kelsey book. The man is a god, no joke. Bernie says that if he ever met him, he would bow down. We actually met one of his friends at Freezefest, and Bernie did bow down, and I asked him to autograph my Kelsey book. (He's in a ton of the pictures.) This guy was really cool and kinda hot and actually promised to do Middle Leprechaun with me this summer. (That was the day I missed out because of my stupid flat tire.)  But he seemed embarrassed by all the attention.

Anyway, I just think it was funny how I stumbled on such a significant book. Nancy and I took the books I bought back to the hotel with the intention of finding a slot canyon to hike the next day.

This is another example of how I could've easily gotten in over my head. Luckily, we chose to do a loop through Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons, which are pretty tame and well-known. But the thing about the Kelsey books is that they always make stuff sound easier than it really is. Since he is so awesome, he trivializes stuff that's a big deal for me. He downclimbs stuff I'd want to rappel and moves very quickly, so his estimated times are always way less than reality (for me, at least). The girl at the bookshop did warn us about the time factor, so that was fortunate. We could have been totally screwed. I was still on a high after the Black Hole experience and thought I knew what I was doing. Definitely not!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…